1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just got some Kodak DVD+R media today...

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by DGenerate, Oct 14, 2004.

1. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

...and using Nero, under Manufacturer's ID, it says "Prodisc R02".

Now, I've read here that a) Kodak DVDs are rubbish, and b) Prodisc DVDs are good.

I just got my DVD burner, and these are the first discs I've bought (thought I'd try them out, they were cheap). Anyone have any opinions?

2. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Bueller? Bueller?

Anyone?

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Crap!!!!

Get Ritek G04 4x -R or Ridata 4x +R at meritline or newegg. Under .50 each w/free shipping. Probably cheaper in cost than those you bought. But they aren't a cheap disc. Out of over 400 burns only one bad disc and they replaced it.:>)

BTW, make sure they are the BRANDED ones(name stamped on the disc), if you don't you don't know what you're getting sometimes. They are only a couple of cents more. and still under .50 cents.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  4. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Cheers, bigorange.

So to clarify, "Prodisc R02" are no good? I just thought I'd experiment with these discs as they were a) readily available (ie, didn't have to order them off the internet), b) reasonably inexpensive, and c) came in a jewel case 5-pack...I don't want to buy a spindle of 50 duds!

I'm in Canada, so I think I have to look for other places to buy from...I know I've seen a couple of relevant threads in this forum.

Thanks again.

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hmmmm....meritline and newegg don't ship to Canada? I didn't know. One other brand, tho a little more expensive that is readily found in stores is verbatim.

Any brand made by Mitsibishi is usually good, MCC is what you'll identify it by.

Load a little tool called dvdinfopro, the free version is all you need. It will analyze your media, drives, burners, and do all kinds of other neat stuff including erasing and reformatting RW discs.

You can put your media in your drive and if it comes up MCC you're fine, if it comes up CMC, stay away. it's at www.dvdinfopro.com, I use it so much i keep it on my desktop.:>)

6. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Oh, they might ship to Canada, I don't really know. It's just that I'd rather not deal with the hassle of:

US$ + S/H -> CDN$ + customs & duty + Federal & Provincial taxes

Never miind, there's a handy thread called "Media in Canada" that might be of some help!

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

would you mind posting that so i can recommend it to some of our other AD Canadian members?

PS-don't forget to DL dvdinfopro.;>)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  8. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

It's right here in this forum:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/97776

Incidentally, I just tried two of those discs...they work perfectly, even on my PS2 which is very picky about what it will play.

And no, I won't forget about dvdinfopro! Cheers!

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Congrats, and thanx for the link :>)

10. brobear

brobear Guest

As well one should not mistake compatibility with quality. Also glad to see you have the answer to your questions. ;)

More media info: The +R Ritek is a Ricoh and those are good disks and you will find some of the Verbatim +R are Ricoh as well. The CMC items for Verbatim were -R and not the top line DataLife Plus series. Mitsubishi and Taiyo Yuden are the other good manufacturers for the brand. With Ritek, you're looking at Ritek and Ricoh, so at present you are assured of quality media when purchasing those brands. I'm sure Canada has a supplier somewhere. NCIX.com is one source that pops up.
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=11233&vpn=R-DVD-R4X50&manufacture=Ritek
    Their price is about $59 CAD for a 50 spindle of 4x Ritek -R.

With Prodisc's rep, they'll have to do better before they get my business. Ritek has one of the best names for low cost, yet good media.