1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just want to watch a dvd on my computer

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DVDKitty, Jun 25, 2004.

1. DVDKitty

DVDKitty Guest

I don't have the original software; my puter is three years old; I just want to be able to put in a dvd in my dvd drive and watch the darn thing. can anyone suggest a reliable download that will fix this codex thing? please!?

isn't plug and play that? plug and play. thanks for any input you'all care to offer.

Kat

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Maybe if you had a look at the Installation CD that came with your DVD drive -- you may find software there that will do just that.

If thats not the case , try a search for DVD player on any search engine -- you will get piles of downloadable software -- some Free !
    Example: (There's a Trial Version)http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/WinDVDPlatinum_Profile.jsp

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

DVDKitty,

You can find PowerDVD 4.0 or WinDVD on ebay for dirt cheap.

4. DVDKitty

DVDKitty Guest

Thank you jeanc1 and flip218 for your friendly tips. I downloaded the trial version of intervideo.com and was able to launch the dvd that came with a product I recently purchased (bareminerals).... but it halted the playback after 15 minutes. nevertheless, I was able to see what I wanted to see. I will probably just go ahead and purchase a decoder for 10 bucks or so. thanks again for your help!

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Kat, Most purchased or rented DVD's have a player software on the dvd. The most common one is Interactual Player(I think I spelled it right). When you first insert the dvd, it will ask you if you want to install and use that player. Just click yes. Its not the best software for playing but will work.

Jerry

6. DVDKitty

DVDKitty Guest

Jerry, thank you for the tip. But I tried to watch The Two Towers on my puter and that DVD didn't offer any viewing software. What I'm surprised about is after you buy all the hardware, (dvd player, computer, monitor) and you buy the actual dvd, and still they want to charge you for something else in order to actually watch it. Blows my mind! Reminds me of the cable company (buy a TV, pay for the electricity, but you gotta buy programming too).

Take it easy,
    Kat

7. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

DVDKitty,

Your pc has a dvd-rom right... It didn't come with any software?

And also, try Two Towers again. I just put mine in and Interactual Player 2.0 pops up. If it doesn't auto start ... go into my computer, right click the drive, and choose install.

8. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest