1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I keep getting kicked off the internet when using torrents

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by zpoop, Apr 29, 2007.

1. zpoop

zpoop Member

This is a really weird problem but I'll try and explain it the best I can. Recently over the past couple of days anytime I had utorrent running I would get kicked off the internet for some odd reason. Couldn't download torrents or browse the web.

All lights on my cable modem where on and it looked like everything was working fine aside from having no internet. I fixed this problem by simply unplugging and then plugging back in my modem. Everything worked fine, I could download torrents, browse the web etc. Couple hours later same thing. No internet yet the modem looks as though it's functioning properly.

I finally narrowed it down to it being a problem with utorrent since everything worked fine when it wasn't running and when it was running I would always get that same problem I described earlier. It might happen 5 minutes after running utorrent or it might happen 5 hours later. Either way it always happened.

I figured it was probably just the program so I uninstalled it and switched to azureus. Everything worked fine for awhile until, yeah you guessed it, I get kicked off the web. No internet, no torrents yet the cable modem is working fine.

WTF is going on here? I've been using utorrent all day everyday for about a year now and all of sudden I start getting this REALLY annoying problem.

Any ideas on what could be causing this because I am stumped. If no one can think of anything I guess I might try calling up my cable company and see what the deal is but I'd rather try and address this myself.

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

I had the same problem with my DSL connection from Bell. I never really found a solution. My best guess was that the downloading program was trying to go beyond the resources of the connection. I don't think I had any problems after I changed the settings for my max upload and download rates.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If you find your getting kicked just browsing then there may be a prob with the ADSL filter or possably with the connection from the road to the hosue jack point,chances are it's an intermittent problem and is only being picked by you since your running torrents which require more time on the net,if possable do a speed test thru your isp you may find it's lost speed,if so that's a sign there is a prob with the connection you have,modems also have to be rebooted every now and then

4. stan789

stan789 Member

Some internet companys if you use too mutch of your connection downloading,they will kick you off the internet,example say your trying to download something and it is using too mutch resources on your internet copnnection the company/provider will see that you are using too mutch and kick you off thats why when you plug back in you get a connection look under the user agreement in the book your isp provides it will most likely say.like my internet gives a getting started book and it says under tems and conditions that if my download is way over my limit charter reserves the right to termenate the download,so check it out thats probely why

5. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

Zp, I get the impression that this problem has not always been around, right? I guess at first you had no problems and all was well, if that is the case and this problem has only been around only a few days, like you said, then it could be just as simple as your ISP doing some work on their; whatever they have.
    If you call them up or look on their website, they should tell you if there are any maintenance work or upgrades going on., because if that is the case, then you experienceing problems is normal, try and see if anyone with the same ISP as you, are having similar problems.
    Another thing could be that you have some spyware, ad-ware etc. clogging up in your PC, if that is the case then I think you should run some spyware checks.

Hope you get this sorted, BluRay.

Ps. Incase you are a novice with the whole spyware thing, then look at this thread and scroll down to the How do I run an effective spyware, adware, virus etc. check? ignore the Norton parts, that was only relevant to that particular thread.

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  6. zpoop

zpoop Member

Turns out my modem crapped out on me. Got a new one and everything is working great. Thanks for the help anyway.