1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i keep getting knocked off line, can you help me"

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by finmccool, Jul 20, 2007.

1. finmccool

finmccool Member

can anybody help me? i have two labtops, on is old 98, and the other is a new dell 6400, with vista on it , my dial up works fine on the old one , i can stay on line all day , but when i try my new dell on the same line , it keeps getting kicked off or droping the line, can anybody out there in afterdawn land " help me as im only new to all of this , thank you very much ..

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

if you keep losing a signal, and it's not power surges, incoming calls, your phone line, etc etc, then it's either the internet provider or something actually wrong with the laptop. dialup is a pain to try to fix.

it could be something as little as some setting on the dell that's turned on, limiting your online time. i'd start by completely uninstalling and reinstalling the modem and all your dialup software.

3. omgomga

omgomga Member

Ya, I've been having the same problems lately. And like you mentioned there have been quite a few power outs, but wouldn't that turn off my pc?

when I get kicked off I just turn my modem off then back on.