1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i keep having to press f1 to boot my pc please help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by raebie, Feb 20, 2008.

1. raebie

raebie Guest

When i power up my pc it makes a funny beep sound then it asks me to
    press f1 to boot or f2 to go into setup. I searched everywhere for answers to this problem and the only thing i could find was this thread http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=556800.
    I tried ctrl+alt+d and run the dell diagnostics on my pc it came back
    drive 0=pass
    drive 1 no device
    drive 2 nec dvd writer
    drive 3 no device
    I done exactly what they said and turned drive 2 off hoping it would
    sort the problem but it did not. Please can somone help me i dont have much of a clue about pc's.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

where is your hd in that list as that isprobably the reason for the beep & press f1 to boot or f2 to go into setup? is your hd seen by the bios? also check to see if have correct time & date as a dead or dying cmos battery can also cause that error.

3. raebie

raebie Guest

my hard drive is the drive 0 on the list i think cause it is saying it passed. how do i check to see where it is on my list i am not very clued up on pc's i need step by step help once in my bios to check this please. And for the battery i am not sure what you mean is it the big round battery on my pc board

4. ddp

that is the battery. will most likely be a cr2032 3v battery. what is the make & model# of your dell?

5. raebie

raebie Guest

My dell pc is dimension 3100 can you help me to get rid of this f1 to boot my pc

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Next time, press f2 to get into your BIOS. You may not have to change anything, so try just saving the BIOS setup, and boot up.

After booting up, shut down, and try to boot up again.

7. ddp

8. raebie

raebie Guest

i think i have already been in the bios and saved changes then rebooted so that did not do anything. as for what size is the hard drive cable i will check tomorrow and get back to you