1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know duall burner's are coming, but what about dual layer media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by geestar20, Apr 30, 2004.

1. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Iv been hearing and reading a little bit on the dual burner craze, but has any body heard of any type of dual layer media to burn on?

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Im not sure that means it will be shipped on that date, but who knows ;-)

As for the media, Ritek will have theirs available mid summer through their branded products

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

On my order conformation it says:
    "Preorder Model- Available on or about May 17, 2004."

Well they took the money so at least I'm on the list! LOL
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2004
  5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hopefully it will come for you then ;-)

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Oriphus,

My Pioneer 07 is doing a great job and I will have to find a home for it, it replaced an A-06, which replaced an Optorite, witch replaced a Toshiba OEM.
    I let some friends borrow them and now I'm providing personal instruction! It's not to difficult to discourage the PM requests but when the phone rings... Maybe AD should have a hotline for newbies, one of those automated systems that everyone loves: "If your DVD copy freezes, press # and then 2" etc.

I definately want to use the Ritek DL media so I'll be waiting for that. Sony doesn't seem to have any to go with their new burner.
    Thats one of the reasons I prefer Pioneer, they are a bit more sensible. Sony knows there are a few folks out here that will buy this thing even before the media comes out. :)
    I'll test it with the SL media while I'm waiting.

Cheers,
    Frank

7. roberson

roberson Guest

Good Mornig Group:
    For myself I would stay away from dual burners and dual layer media. Reason the disks cost way more. I have seen them for sale on Ebay. If the makers of blank disks, even Ritek, can not manufacture media correctly, each disk, what do you think they going to do making dual layer disks? I would wait
    until everybody gets it together. Besides shinking
    the movie to a DVD5, only a expert, can see any difference in the quality of the copied movie.
    Just my input, What do I know? roberson

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You are mistaking Dual layer for double sided - there are no Dual layer discs for sale on ebay at this time.

Yeah Fasfrank, ill wait for the Pioneer version to come, though im not sure ill get it anyway since mine may be firmware updatable. Imagine going back to 1 hour to burn a movie - i dont think i could handle that lol - 10 mins is a long time for me ;-)

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

The dual layer media will no doubt cost more but has the capacity to hold two movies with a reasonable compression level so there will be some benefit to it.
    I notice that a lot of folks here like to put multiple movies on one disc so I'm sure the question will come up on how to put 5 or 6 movies on one DVD-9!

roberson, I disagree with you about the ability of disc makers to produce good discs. I am glad that you did jump in and state your opinion though. I sure want to hear what you have to say. Thats what this place is all about!

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

For me, quality is everything. I can only see me using a Dual Layered disc if i cant get better compression rates than around 10-15% compression. The time taking to deep anaylise and compress, could be spent burning at an awful slow 2.4x speed :D