1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know it's closed, but this may help a few

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Elayne, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

Recently my friend tried to copy her Spanglish dvd and couldn't. Her computer is about two years old. I have two computers. I tried to copy the dvd for her on the computer which is about four years old and it won't rip. I tried smart ripper and dvd decrypter. I then tried to rip the dvd with my newer computer which is about one year old. No problem with dvd decrypter the new version. I then tried to
    copy some of the recent dvd's that she had made copies of. The older computer would copy, but had no problem with the newer computer. So, maybe the people who are having problems with ripping have an older computer and I have no idea of how to get an upgrade so the older computer can read the files.

2. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

get a new DVD ROM. I had an old P3 w/ 384MB of SDRAM and it would rip everything I threw at it ... just would take alot longer.

I had a Sony DDU-1612 (which I think I read is a re-bagged LiteOn 166) in that PC.

4. unutt

unutt Member

Hi elayne,

I backed Spanglish up just fine with dvdshrink 2.3, but there is a trick to it. This is the fourth or fifth disc I have found with this same encryption. After reading about it on another thread, I went and rented it just to see if it was really different. If you are interested in the trick, post a reply.

unutt

5. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

I really didnt' have the problem, except on my old computer, and several other people who have computers over 1 1/2 years old. Thank
    you for your time. If you wish to share this information, please
    do, so I can pass it on.
    Thanks again.

6. jer2911tx

jer2911tx Guest

i have been putting off backing up Spanglish until i could catch up on the official spanglish thread....
    what is the secret?

7. unutt

unutt Member

MY secret to backing up Spanglish with DVDshrink (2.3) - Whatever process you use to 'Reauthor' must include a trip to the 'Start/End' window. When you get there, drag and drop the start cursor out into the movie, then use the 'back' arrow button to move the cursor to the beginning of the movie, but no farther. The drag and drop must be fairly quick and smooth. Visually, the cursor must pass the first 1/4 inch or so or it will lock up (I usually drag it a half inch or so and use the fast reverse button to get back to the beginning quickly). If you do not drag the cursor far enough, OR, you back it up to far, your dvdshrink program will lock up, and you will have to use the task manager to close it down. You can even back up into the beginning splash screens (the ones that tell you which studio produced the movie), but I usually only back up to the last black frame before the very first frame of the movie. Once you do it the first time, you will have no problem afterward. Don't ask me how I fugured it out. Just pure accident. I have run across about 4 or 5 movies that have the same encryption. If you do not perform this small step, your rip will start, and then stop within a few seconds, and you will get some kind of error message. Try it! I have yet to find a movie I could not backup with DVDshrink 2.3.

8. jer2911tx

jer2911tx Guest

i think i'll try spanglish tonight.
    thx

9. unutt

unutt Member

Let me know how it goes. I know it works (obviously) and have taught all my friends the trick with 100% success. By the way, I 'figured' it out, not 'fugured', AND, be sure not to back up 'too' far, versus 'to' far. You would never know I was eddicated based on my grammar!

10. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

Thank you

11. jer2911tx

jer2911tx Guest

i ran out of time last night, didn't get to try Spanglish.
    i had problems with 'Paycheck'
    i usually burn on my laptop.
    i use decrypter, then i run shrink to reauthor, and shrink uses decrypter to burn.

when i ran decrypter initially, it copied files, then when i ran dvd shrink, i kept getting the error:
    DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.
    Invalid data in File C:paycheck
    Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.

i'll do a forum search on that error and see what i find out.
    i'll try Spanglish next time my wife has an overnight trip.

12. unutt

unutt Member

Rip it without using decrypter. You do not need it.

13. jer2911tx

jer2911tx Guest

how i understand it, shrink itself won't burn to your dvd, shrink needs a program like nero or decrypter to actually do the burning portion
    i use a guide from bbmayo when i use the desktop with two drives, and scuba pete's guide when i burn with laptop, both guides are for burning with shrink and decrypter