1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I`m Back Here`s an honest ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kevin52, Feb 26, 2005.

1. kevin52

kevin52 Guest

Could I get some ideas for buying a DVD Burner,something decent at a decent price..I read Staples has a Liteon 12x for $89 plus you get the Nero software free,any help appreciated,Thanks

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey kevin, Get a good high quality burner like plextor/nec/benq/pioneer. Lite-on shouldn't be too bad but I don't know about the 12x model
    Some would say sony and sanyo also. I've seen nec and benq's well under $70 for the 16x models at Newegg.com when they are on sale.

I just got that staple's $40 I/O magic 16x last sunday.It had the nero and powerdvd. I was very disappointed.I bought the same I/O magic there 3 months ago and it was built by BenQ-1620. That benq burns at over 99% rate,re-rips 100%,and plays on all 15-20 different players that I play them on.
    I saw them on sale again and decided to replace my khypermedia +8x because those backups wouldn't play on my bedroom apex player. Same exact package and model #,different manufacturers.

That new I/O backups look great on that spare pc and on my very reliable sony stand alone player,but won't recognize ritek-g04:

The new I/O is recognized by dvd shrink as a generic 16x ide dvdrw. My apex won't play it's + backups/my tv home burner will not play either +/-/, my lite-on 167t will not play it's + burns/ and my benq doesn't recognize anything from it. I have screwed around and re-ripped that new backup and burned back onto my Benq burner and perfect copy of a copy that will play everywhere.Even ty's made no difference. I am not bummed out too much,I will probably ebay it and still make some money on it.It seems to have a weeker laser.

For all the many different devices I play those backups on, I will get another high quality burner.

New Egg has been having some good burners on their 1 day only sale's page.I will keep my eye out for another benq 1620.They had one for $52 earlier this week that I passed up on.

Just some info that might help you out.With all the different media,4 burners,and many -many standalones I use, The High quality burner/media is a must,just my opinion though.

Good Luck on your quest.

3. kchev

kchev Regular member

i wouldn't buy a liteon for burning. they favor +R media and they just don't burn high quality

i would stay with what saugmon said

my favorite is nec

plextor-overpriced and it seems that people either love them or hate them

benq-it seems they have let their quality go down the drain the last few months several bad drives are getting out

pioneer-good burners kind of expensive but i read nec is supplying the chipsets for pioneer now. so you might as well save alot of money and just get an nec

you will also save alot of money buying online from newegg or zipzoomfly

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

5. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

I love my external LG model burner referenced in my sig.
    It's true two sheep rated!

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

saugmon

My other burner is an I/O which also shows as "generic 4x" in device manager, etc.

It actually was made by OptoRite model# DD203 and I needed to do a firmware upgrade right out of the box. Mind you that was quite some time back but it did help my media problems at that time.

http://www.optorite.com/

7. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Hey Scubabud,I see you finally got your senior stripes,congrats!!
    You went from a newbie, to a senior,your good. LOL

I have a pioneer 108, I love it,it seems to burn anything,its supposed to burn at 16x, but I have no interest in burning that fast...SPEED KILLS

Just my two cents

later
    jD

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Thanks Jim_Dandy!

Now my [bold]AARP card[/bold] matches my Sig Profile! :)