1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i need a idiot proof set of instructions for setting up ewin2 on my micro sd card please

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by dazpask, Jan 13, 2007.

1. dazpask

dazpask Member

ok,the box arrived in the post this morning,the excitement was over whelming.opened the box and realised i dont know the first thing about these bloomin things.i guess at 34 years old im not supposed to so can someone from the younger generation please educate a "feeling thick" noobie please. thanks in advance

2. rjgallac

rjgallac Member

have you got a passme device. This is a card that goes in the slot 1 position i.e. the nds rom slot of the NDS. Its tells the NDS to look at the GBA slot for stuff.

3. dazpask

dazpask Member

yes its pass key 3

4. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Passkey 3...that sucks...i dont think passkey or passcard works on the ewin2

5. rjgallac

rjgallac Member

Sorry I'm doing most of this from memory. I was having a problem finding a similar guide for this device and it didn't come with any instructions.

1. go to ewin2.net and download the latest transfer program for the ewin device from the download section. Warning this site is very slow so be prepared to wait a long time. I have the ewin tool offical 1.3. this is all you;ll need for now.

2. Connect a card reader to the PC and insert micro SD card.

3. run the transfer tool

4. set the output path to the drive of your micro SD

5. drag your backed up rom/s into the transfer tool window and hit transfer
    (this I think puts the multiboot program on and patches the roms)

6. put micro sd in ewin2 slot. put ewin2 in GBA slot

7. put passkey in NDS slot and switch on.

You should get a list of roms to choose from.

Now then, this worked fine for me for most of the roms. however if you want to get more compatability with nearly every rom then you'll need to do a firmware flash. I was a bit dubious about doing this on my spanking new NDS however theres nothing to worry about.

1. download the latest firmware from the ewin2 site and copy it directly to the microsd. dont use the transfer tool. make sure you have the power plugged in on your NDS as you don't want it to shut off mid process.

2. put micro sd in ewin2 slot. put ewin2 in GBA slot

3. put passkey in NDS slot and switch on.

4. by holding a key combination(can't remember what it is but it comes with the instructions in the firmware RAR) it will start the flashing. Once complete it will restart.

You won't notice any difference however you'll now have access to a lot more roms. FF3, Castlevainia and more wou'd not run for me bofore flashing(you would just get a white screen). However now you've flashed it you should be able to press Y on the menu screen to force the rom to load.

You want to get some multimedia on that NDS. Using moonshell you can play mp3, views pictures and watch movies.

1. download moonshell from the ewin2 site. extract the files and copy them directly to the micro SD, don't use the transfer tool.There should be one NDS file and a folder.

2. copy jpgs, mp3s and movies to the NDS. you can even create folders. Using DPGtool you can convert avi etc to the NDS format of DPG.

3. When you start the NDS you should see an odd name file. Run this and you'll get a sort of windows environment in the bottom window and a folder structure in the top. Navigate to the pictures and press A to run them.

Browsers: At the moment the browser isn't supported on the ewin2 device. There may be one coming soon.

Homebrew: try nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk for homebrew. I've not gotten into it yet as I've only had the NDS two weeks however they should all come with instructions on how to load and run. I am trying emulation from this site however not having much success. The ewin2 device doesn't seem to be as popular as the other devices so may not be as well supported?

I hope this has helped a little. Anyone feel free to correct me as I may have left out a little ir I may have it wrong myself.

6. dazpask

dazpask Member

thanks mate.i now have a fully functional ds except i cant flash the thing,it just doesnt work when i transfer it to the sd but i dont care,still got humdreds of games for free.

7. ncasx

ncasx Regular member

Hey, was wondering how good it works, does most nds game play, and how bout the slow down.

8. rjgallac

rjgallac Member

There is no slow down as far as I know. I was worried about it too. I've got a kingston 2gb and a 512mb san disk and they're perfectly fine. Everything runs great.

I think I got mine from cheapmod.net. I'll be shopping on there again. May get my cousin one.