1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a laptop for recording music.

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by dgchaos, May 22, 2011.

1. dgchaos

dgchaos Member

Good day,

I've been planning to buy a laptop and a few tips would be appreciated.

My main purpose is recording music. So I need something with decent audio capabilities. A laptop that is not too noisy(quiet fan) would be ideal. A big screen would be nice but is not an absolute necessity. I'm not too particular about the graphical capabilities.

I'm not looking for a gaming processor as I don't plan on using this laptop for gaming at all.

Size or weight is not an issue.

I would prefer something in the $600 range, $1000 tops.

Bottom line: The laptop has to be something that a semi-pro musician would use.

So can you recommend a laptop of this sort? And do you know of any good sound cards out there?

Thank you.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a pc hardware issue.

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

not exactly a "build your own" either really.. just go and buy the best you can afford which has the inputs and outputs you will need.. you are stuck with whatever soundcard is built on the motherboard.. so just research.. I use yamaha opl2 cards.. 2 of them.. isa cards.. very old.. best sounding cards I have ever come across which is why I still use them.. some people say "better are cheap now".. but I AM a musician and "better" on paper doesn't always mean "better" sounding......

4. hemant81

hemant81 Member

i suggest a Mac but even the lower end low powered macs are expensive and you will find the experience of something like running Logic a frustrating chore. To get a high quality Mac you will have to pay ATLEAST the $2400 for the basic Mac Pro. it's pretty ridiculous. Things like the Macbook just don't have the power to do anything really, as i found out. And Windows dont really have much choice in this sort of area either. So your kinda stuck here with limited choice.