1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need expert help

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mikef07, Jan 12, 2003.

1. mikef07

mikef07 Member

Ok. Take a disc like Oz. It has 2 PGC's (Each of about an hour for each episode(2 episodes per disc)). If I use DVD2AVI the AC3 file will not work when importing to DVD Maestro. So I use Smartripper to demux file. Problem here is the you have to separate the 2 chains so I end up with an two AC3 files. An AC3 file of about 55 min (PGC1) and an AC3 file of 57 minutes (PGC2).

But the M2V file again is both hours combined. What can I do so that I have just one big AC3 file to merge into DVD Maestro?

2. mikef07

mikef07 Member

Does no one know?

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Not sure but with dvd decryptor I think you can rip seperate Pgc's.
    I haven't tried this, just a suggestion.

4. Adder_78

Adder_78 Guest

Like baabaa posted...

you have to first rip both pgc's seperately!

or do the same thing with IfoEdit and you dont have to use any authoring tools at all(if you dont need to re-encode the source)

Zzzzzzzz

5. mikef07

mikef07 Member

No No!!! OK I can rip the PGC's separately. I end up with two PGC's each of an hour long of which I have to put Ep 1 on #1DVD-R and Ep 2 on #2 DVD-R. I want to keep it like it is. Both epidodes on 1 DVD-R. I can get the m2v file. It is 2 hours long. I can then use DVD2AVI to rip the AC3 file from the VOB's. THe problem is because this is a multiple PGC disc it will not import the 2 hour AC3 file into DVD Maestro(You get a FRAME SYNC error). SO people say use DVD Decrypter. You can only rip each PGC's audio from this. I end up with 2 AC3 files each of an hour long. I want to end up with one AC3 file (which is 2 hours long comrised of both episodes) so that I can import it into DVD Maestro.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2003
  6. Adder_78

Adder_78 Guest

Why you want to use DVDmaestro? Are you going to make your own menu or what???

if the both episodes will fit in single dvd-r why dont you just use IfoEdit and strip other languages etc away and then burn those files in dvd-r(or if the DVD is < 4.38 gig then just burn the whole dvd to dvd-r)??? Its simple and FAST!

Zzzzzzzz

7. mikef07

mikef07 Member

I would do that but it is bigger than 4.38GB. Obviously this would be very easy if it was smaller. How can no one know how to get 1 AC3 file??

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Let us summarise so we do not lose the plot.

My understanding is as follows:

2 episode disc which are seperate Pgc's
    Each Pgc will have when ripped/demuxed 1 m2v and 1 ac3 each.

What u r asking is u want to join the 2 m2v files and the 2 ac3 files in order to get 1 long episode.

This is a strange question.
    If the resulting 2 episodes r bigger than 4.38Gb u will have to re-encode the 2 m2v files to a lower bitrate.
    As for 1 ac3 made up of the 2 I have got to be honest I am stumped.

I agree with adder_78.

Don't shout at me but I think u may need to check ur method cos if it was me.

Example.
    Rip each pgc seperately/demux with dvd decryptor u may need to do 2 passes(unsure)
    U r then left with 1 m2v + 1 ac3 for each episode.
    Then re-encode each m2v file to a lower bitrate.
    U r then left with 1(smaller)m2v and the original ac3 file which I believe dvd maestro will accept(never used maestro so unsure).
    And then u can burn back.

Or remux the m2v+ac3 with ifoedit to produce ur vobs.

I maybe wrong cos I haven't seen this type of post before.

9. mikef07

mikef07 Member

Close very close. The only difference is there is only 1 m2v file which is 2 hours long and 2 ac3 files which are 1 hour each.

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Starting to see the woods in the trees now.
    Because there is only 1 m2v file THEN u want to join the 2 ac3 files together THEN remux them and author/burn?

Then why not look at it from another angle.
    Cut the m2v into 2 m2v files?

I think some real editing skills to get the m2v and ac3 remuxed in sync would be a miracle but maybe possible with TMPGenc.

R u definately sure you cannot just rip 1 pgc at a time(old ground i know)to produce a seperate m2v+ac3 for each pgc?

I am going to have a think about this one because looking at it it is a really good post and hopefully we can provide a method.

11. mikef07

mikef07 Member

OK I think I found the solution believe it or not. You can join 2 AC3 files using a simple DOS command. SO here is what I did to copy OZ. I use CCE to end up getting a m2v file that is about 2 hours long of video only. I then use smartripper and demux EPisode 1 AC3 file and Episode 2 AC3 file separately. Open a DOS window or a command prompt. I have 2 files: ep1.ac3 and ep2.ac3

Type the following without the quotes:

"copy /b ep1.ac3+ep2.ac3 ep12.ac3"

I end up with a 2 hour AC3 file named ep12.ac3

I can then import this into DVD maestro

BTW the /b just identifies the ac3 files as binary, but u need to do this.

12. baabaa

baabaa Active member

That actually works.

Wow threw dos out in the rain with xp.
    May need to reconsider if thats foolproof.

logically if the files are defined as 'binary values' then theorectically it's good.

Nice one

13. mikef07

mikef07 Member

Just open a command prompt in Xp under accesories.

14. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I shall have a look at that.

Got xp on my other machine.
    Cheers for the tip.