1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help converting a video for my media player

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by poopsmgee, May 25, 2007.

1. poopsmgee

poopsmgee Member

I recently downloaded a tool concert video and its a xvid video that wont play on my media player. ive looked around and can only find tutorials on converting things from or to dvds when i need to convert mine to one of the following formats AVI, WMV9, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4-SP, MJPEG,or DivX 4.x/ 5.x. any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Sounds like the codec needed to play the file is missing. Opening the file in GSpot will tell what video and audio codecs were used. Install GSpot, right click your file and choose open with and browse to GSpot, choose it and ok out and your file will open in GSpot. This is the most recently released version not in beta, I think: http://gspot.en.malavida.com/download/windows/1178 The next time GSpot will appear in the menu. XVID 1.12 has opened every xvid for me so far. Conversely, you can install VLC player; it contains it's own codecs.

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  3. poopsmgee

poopsmgee Member

sry i wasnt specific, it wont play on my portable media player. i have a creative vision w that im trying to convert the file to play it on.