1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help my computer will not connect to the internet

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by nownthen, Dec 3, 2004.

1. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

This is the setup. I have two computers linked with a router to share the DSL connection. One is running windows xp pro and the other is running windows 98 se. The one computer (win 98) is still able to connect to the internet and is functioning perfectly. It links through the second line on the router if that makes any difference.

The Computer with the problem (win xp)
    When I click on internet explorere is ask if I want to connect or work offline.

I've looked at the ipconfig and there isn't any #'s after Connection-specific DNS Suffix and Default Gateway.

I've tried to renew the ip but I get this error "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 2: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket"

Any ideas on what I could try.
    Thanks for any help.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try the xp in another port as it might be dead, found that out with mine. try xp without router in place to be certain it connects ok

3. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

I tried that. It doesn't connect with or without the router. I switched the ports from the router and the other computer can fine from that port.

At this point is either some to do with windows xp pro, internet explorer or the ethernet card.

4. ddp

can you switch net cards if not built in to board, also switch cables

5. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Windows was causing the problem. Something happened to the internet gateway. What I did was reinstall windows and it works fine now. Thanks for your help.

6. ddp

happy computing, teach & learn