1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help opening ports.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by danbooke, Jan 13, 2005.

1. danbooke

danbooke Regular member

I'm trying to figure out how to open my ports for downloading using P2P and torrent software. I have my Windows XP Firewall for these programs turned off, but it's not helping, so I can only assume that it is my router. I have a D-Link (DI-640) router and all the information that I can find on the internet about it pretty much reads like japanese to me. I have no Idea what they are talking about. Everyone here has helped me with burning and playing PS2 backups, and now I'm just asking for a little more help so I can start sharing the wealth with everyone out there. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Xsilver

Xsilver Regular member

Hi mate
    I see you have windows xp (This is with SP2) firstly i would turn the firewall back and do the following:-

goto - CONTROL PANEL - NETWORK CONNECTIONS - (FIND YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION) BT, NTL etc etc and right click it and then click properties. click on the ADVANCED tab and click the SETTINGS button for the windows firewall. click the EXCEPTIONS button. Then add the program or programs you want to exclude from the firewall example Emule, bittorrent etc etc

In the same EXCEPTIONS tab there is a button ADD PORT then put a name in for the port i.e emule G2 and then the port number.

Hope this helps

3. titilucky

titilucky Guest

My Windows XP Firewall turns itself off so I can't use that for keeping the ports open; in any case I did add the ports to it. But I have ZoneAlarm (free) and a proxy and can't figure out how to open the ports for bt torrent. Thanks for any help.