1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help please

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by ID_Thor, Jan 6, 2003.

1. ID_Thor

ID_Thor Member

I am a complete newbie at this so please bear with me.
    I am trying to back up my DVD collection onto VCD's.
    I downloaded Smart Ripper, DVD2AVI, TMPGEnc and the VFAPI plug in for the TMP program, how do you load the plug-in into the TMP program, When I got it it was a complete program in it's self??
    Using the directions found on this site, This is what I did.
    Using the DVD "XXX" I used smart ripper to pull the VOB files off the disk and onto my h/d, I then used DVD2AVI to convert to a .wav file after doing this I tried to use the TMPGEnc program but when asked for the video source it would not open the file(unsupported file type). I tried to reinstall the TMP program but it said the same thing. TMP will however let me add the .wav file to the list.
    If I understand this process the TMPGEnc program splices the audio and the video into a Mpeg file correct ?? then that file is burnt onto a CD/R.
    Everything I have read says I should have a file size of around 700meg.
    My wave file is 1.5gig but at least the VOB files are of the same size. Is that correct ?
    I tried to use the biggest VOB file but everytime I try it I get a error that says UNsupported file type. I went thu the read me files and checked the confg text and it shows support for the .dv2 project file. What makes no since to me is my .dv2 project file is only 508kb. Why is that ?

Sorry this is so long, but I am at my wits end trying to figure this out on my own. I even tryed DUP-DVD with no luck, but I think that was due to the file size was to big for 1 disk. I just got V/Dub tonight so I guess I will be trying to figure that out as well.

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. John375

John375 Guest

Per Dela's advice to me

In tmpgenc, with the files loaded in, click settings and click advanced! Click the box beside souce range (if a new dialog doesnt appear, double click it!). Click "set start frame" then click "move to end frame" then click "set end frame". click ok and try to encode now, see what estimate tmpgenc gives you?

This significantly reduces the conversion times as well as the size of the files

3. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

you can only get 80 minutes of video on a 700mb cd. go here http://entiendo.gotnet.net and look up dvd making and look at source ranging in tmpgenc. it will show you how to split the file so it will fit. Now if you make an 80 minute file, it will show up on your hard drive as 800meg. Don't worry, it will fit on a 700meg cd when you go to burn a vcd.

4. ID_Thor

ID_Thor Member

Thank you for the info and the link. I did get it to work but only after I trashed what I ahd done and started over. Everything worked smooth the second time around.
    The link you provided dbecker is excellent. I am now going to try it that way and see what I can come up with.
    Again Thank you both...