1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Need Help w/ Dvd Media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Raiderboi, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Raiderboi

Raiderboi Member

Heres the deal, I have been using Verbatim 4x DVD+R for a while now and have been wanting to purchase 4x dvd-r Tayue yuden(sp) over the internet, but my parents wont let buy any from the internet(they aint down with the whole buying over the internet stuff). BTW, im 15. My other problem is that I have a Ricoh DVD+RW RW 5240 and am not sure if it will burn Dvd-r's. My other question is that if any stores such as circuit city sell Tayue Yuden's.

2. sadsac

sadsac Guest

You can't buy Yudens at retail stores such as circuit city or best buy. I don't think Comp USA sells actual Yuden media either.

You have several options though:

1 - You can opt for name brand media and take a chance that it will be made by Yuden - The last pack of Fuji disks I bought were Yudens. Be sure the package says "made in Japan" though.

2 - You can check your locally owned computer shops. They may carry the media. If not, I'm sure they'll be willing to order it for you.

3 - You can check with a friend's parents and see if they are willing to order via the internet. Then your parents can cut them a check.

4 - You can have your parents call whatever internet based company you're wanting to buy from. I'm sure they'll be glad to accept a credit card over the phone. They may even be willing to accept a check and send the media upon receipt of the check.

I've never tried actual Yuden media, but I really like the Verbatim Digital Movie media. It's made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation. And if you read digitalfaq.com, they're right up there at the top. On a previous thread, I mentioned that I got Best Buy to match Circuit City's price on 25 packs of this media for $6.94. Awesome deal. If you don't have a Best Buy near you, you can buy it at Circuit City. But you'll have to wait for a mail-in rebate to get it for $6.94.

Ordering over the internet is just as safe as giving the waitress your credit card to pay for dinner at a restaurant. No matter who you give the information to, they can always use it illegally. You just have to be sure you are dealing with a reputable company. I have ordered hundreds of items off the internet and have never had a problem. And I probably never will.

This is the information age. Technology has advanced past communicating with a string and two plastic cups. Tell your peeps they gotta get past the medieval age!

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

If your folks are worried about internet fraud, then set up a special account at your bank with only $xx to cover your purchase useing a debit card.

I have used debit and credit cards for purchases ranging from $5.00 to $500.00 and never had any problems.

Good luck and I hope you get your media. I don't think you will be disapointed with TY. BTW thats also some good advice sadsac gave you.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello Raiderboi, You want some local store media with the ty mfg code?

Go to staple's, look at their 50 pack spindles of sony +1x-8x. You want the spindles that say MADE IN JAPAN. You have to really check out those labels because they are probably mixed in with the exact same sony +1x-8x that were made in TAIWAN.They both have identical wrappers of purple and black.

Here is the model code on mine: 50DPR47LS3

Here is the mfg code: Yuden000-T02

I picked up 7 spindles last month when they were on sale for $20 a spindle of 50. Many other members reporting ty's on them as well,mainly from staples.These are burning and playing great and dvdinfopro registers 0 errors on my scans.

Fuji's have some of their made by ty, Maxell as well.Those maxell ty's are tougher to figure out.

5. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Your burner will only burn to +R and +RW media (http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDname=5240&Submit=Search&cdrs=&cdrws=&dvdrs=&dvdrws=&dvdrsdl=&dvdprs=&dvdprws=&dvdprsdl=&dvdrams=&buffer=Any&cdrom=&dvdrom=&orderby=Name&hits=25&Search=Search)

Also, as someone mentioned earlier, Fuji 8X DVD+Rs that are marked "Made in Japan" are most likely Taiyo Yudens. The 4X could be RICOHJPN or something else, and the "Made in Taiwan" could be Prodisc or something else. Best Buy usually has a good sale on these Fujis every few weeks for $20 for a 50-pack. And you probably won't have to worry about getting fake TYs since these are branded.

6. Raiderboi

Raiderboi Member

So my choices are Sony and fuji dvd+r's made in japan
    Thanks for your help guys

7. sadsac

sadsac Guest

If you absolutely have to have Yuden disks, make sure you get the 1-8x Sony disks as saugmon said. Also, if you get Fuji's, make sure they are "made in Japan" as opposed to "Made in Taiwan".

8. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

if u want to get some sony's, staples is putting the 50 packs on sale for $19.94 again starting sunday the 27th.

9. Raiderboi

Raiderboi Member

Staples here i come