1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i need help with new nec burner

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by shyambali, Feb 14, 2004.

1. shyambali

shyambali Member

hi everyone, i have recently purchased an NEC burner and i am completely lost in how to use this stuff. I have 1 cd/RW drive and one DVD/RW drive. What programs will i need to purchase and what will i need to do in order to be able to back up my dvd movies? Can someone plese explain to me step by step.
    Thanx in advance

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi,
    Welcome to Afterdawn!

The first thing you should do is spend some time here reading as much as you can. Don't forget to read the forum rules.

We need to know some things too!
    Tell us about your computer, what OS, CPU brand and speed, how much RAM you have and your hard drive capacity. What CD/RW do you have? What DVD player are you going to watch the movies with?

The movies you backup are usually too big to fit on a blank disc, they are also encrypted to prevent you from making a copy. Overcoming this is done during the ripping process.

A program such as DVD Shrink can compress and decrypt your movie to fit. Make sure your source discs are clean and don't have any big scratches, I always clean and inspect my movies before copying them.

Once completed, you have your movie sitting in a folder on your hard drive. Make sure you have room before you start, video files are quite large.

Now you need to burn the folder to a blank disc using a burning program. Make sure you start out with high quality R/W discs that can be reused, you might make a mistake!
    A program like Nero 6 will work with DVD Shrink and start the burn process without much effort on your part. Once the burn begins, leave your computer alone untill the process is complete.

I don't know enough about your system to tell you if you sould use +R or -R blank media. That's why it's important to be very specific when you tell us about your system. there is more than one type of NEC burner for example.

[bold]Programs:[/bold]

Download free DVD Shrink:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

Download 30 day free demoversion of Nero 6:

http://www.nero.com/us/download_nero.php?pak=1

[bold]Guides:[/bold]

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm

http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

Cheers,
    Frank
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2004
  3. shyambali

shyambali Member

the nec burner i have is NEC 1300 ND-1300A 4X DVD+R(W)/-R(W)
    Computer: Hallmark
    Viewmaster AMD Athalon XP 1800 + 1.53 GHz 512 MB ram 37.2 GB but 27 are used. My CD/RW is a sony (dont know the model number, i want to watch the movies on my home dvd player which is a sansui that can play DVD/VCD/MP3/CD-R/CD-RW/CD Player.
    Will the DVD Shrink program rip it? and can i use DVD-RW in my dvd player?

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Again shyambali,

You may have too little hard drive capacity for things to work properly, try it though 10.2 GB may be enough room.

Shrink will rip your movie, but will not burn it. It will only back it up to your harddrive.
    Shrink and Nero work together to do the steps needed to copy your movie on to a blank disc.

Use high quality -R/W media for your first attempts, mistakes are very common for beginners! When you can complete a disc with no errors and it can play in your computer, try it in your Sansui.
    Frank
    _
    _
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  5. shyambali

shyambali Member

thankyou fasfrank i shall go buy some high quality ones and try it...you have been very helpful

6. shyambali

shyambali Member

ok sorry another question...i own nero startsmart...how do i change it to classic view? instead of the complex one?
    its nero startsmart OEM suite 1

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi again shyambali,

Smartstart to classic Nero 6 Burning ROM:

Click on your desktop smartstart icon> odd smartstart window opens> switch to expert mode at the bottom> Select DVD from the tab at the top> click on the copy & backup icon at the top> select copy disc from the icons on the right.
    Burning ROM opens> CLOSE the new compilation window> click on file, upper right and select new from the drop down menu> new window opens. Select DVD at the top right and below that Click on the DVD-Video icon.

Follow this guide:
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/nero-video.php

If you have the new version of Shrink, it should burn using Nero automatically.

Good luck,
    Frank
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  8. shyambali

shyambali Member

i used dvd shrink and it put the files on the computer, then it said there was some lock and it couldnt be burned. Nero wont let me burn it when i use smart start copy disk it wants to burn a direct copy (cd to cd) wat do i do?

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Tell me exactly what that lock message said.

You missed a step using smartstart:

Switch to EXPERT mode at the bottom of the opening screen.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Y'all,

Just a short note, While using an RW disc for your first backup, don't be too surprised it doesn't play in your standalone DVD player - most standalones don't care for RW media, they want the single write stuff instead -

Second, NEC ND 1300A burners, although advertised as a dual burner, they like +R media and not -R. It is possible that a flash upgrade can remedy that I don't know for sure as my burner is a USB unit and can't be flashed.

Just don't get excited if it wants +R stuff (It will burn -R media but ONLY AZO advanced dye application stuff)

Last, If you can't find Nero Classic, remember that it is a OEM and so may not have the whole package installed -

Pete

11. shyambali

shyambali Member

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

shyambali,

EXCELLENT !

Now we're getting somewhere :-D

This is what my post wanted you to "Note". When you have a program installed OEM, generally it isn't a complete program, which this isn't -

OK, here's what we're going to do -

I want you to download and install Nero's Demo version (good for 30-days) and then we'll show you how this will work - first - here is your link -

A 30 day, free, fully functional Nero 6 download can be had here:
    http://www.nero.com/us/631939541422774.php

Once you have that installed Nero, use the following exactly :))

Step by Step –
    Do not use Nero Wizard.
    When you open Nero Burning ROM, you will be at the “New Compilation” window. Directly under the title “New Compilation” is a choice block to choose either DVD or CD, choose DVD. Directly under that click on the DVD Video Icon. Then click “New” in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT the main screen.
    You now are in the DVD Video window. In the left screen, click VIDEO_TS. In the File Browser screen, 3rd from the left, trace your path to the VIDEO_TS folder, the one you made in the beginning, holding your work and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in the right screen. Click on the top file, hold down the “Shift” key and then click the bottom file thereby hi-lighting the entire column of files. Click and (holding the left mouse button down) drag the entire column of files to the open screen, second from the left.
    Now click the icon on the task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click “OK” and now ? “Burn you sweet thing, Burn Baby, Burn !” ” “Let me hear you say it, Who’s your Daddy Now ???”
    (Wheeew, now I need a cigarette)

Guess what my Friend ?? You are done !!!

STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER ! ! Keep all fingers and toes away from Ms. Computer. Never mess with the lady when she’s working – it would be hazardous to your health, you understand -
    Go and have your coffee, when Nero is done she will let you know ;-))

Enjoy, “P”

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Pete, your Nero link looks wonky :D

If I may....

http://nero.com/us/631939541422774.php

Im impressed by that screenshot of Nero SmartStart! I still think that classic burning ROM is there. But I may be wrong. I notice that the Nero icon at the bottom is faded out.

I would really like to see the very first screen that opens when you click and open StartSmart. The screenshot you provided is the one that comes up when you are not in the expert mode.
    I would like to see the screen before this one.

Pete is usually right on target and a download would definitely work but I am just not convinced that you don't already have it.

Cheers,
    Frank
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  14. shyambali

shyambali Member

followed ur steps scuba pete but the following message came up:
    Burn process failed at 2.4x (3,312 KB/s)
    meaning?

15. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Can you post the Nero log?

16. shyambali

shyambali Member

what is the nero log?

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

shyambali,

No worries, anyone can get that message, the reason is usually that someone was using the PC when Nero needed 100% of the resources as happens for brief periods when burning - since you followed my directions and didn't touch the computer, it was probably something running in the background -

I'd like you to go to msconfig and shut everything down, reboot and give it another try -

About that error message, that's why we're using that RW disc, so we don't lose anything.

Again a reminder, when you get a successful burn and it plays in your PC, don't get excited when your Sansui doesn't play it - that's when we burn a single write disc - that should play OK.

One last thing, I want you to open your PowerDVD or what ever player you have (except WMP, we don't want to mess with that) and play yourVIDEO_TS folder that DVDShrink made for you to be sure your files are OK :))

Ship Mr. Frank your Nero log and see if he finds your Nero Classic (I'll bet ya a pound and 1/2 of Therian Pins ya don't find it :D

Let me know how ya make out -

Pete

18. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi guys,
    Error
    Cheers,
    Frank
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  19. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi guys,

Shyambali,

Look at the screen when Nero is done burning and just select the button that says "save log" then just cut and paste it from the location you saved it to into your post.

Pete,

Nero started to act up after I tried (and failed) to clean up my C, D drives by moving some programs around.
    I ended up just uninstalling my Nero 6.
    I had no problems loading package 1 back on but I cannot install package 2, (nve2108) the one with Express and Recode2.

I get one of these:

"An error occurred during the copy process (file name:)
    Error: 183
    Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
    Please reboot your computer and retry."

I have tried everything I can think of to no avail. I have run all the Nero tools, rebooted 100 times, removed every program that I've installed over the past 3 months, snooped around in the registry and have done a couple of system restores, but so far nothing works.

I downloaded Burning ROM with package 1 so I don't have a problem burning, I just want to get package 2 with Recode back.

Hopefully the inquiry I made to Nero Tech support will provide some answers.
    Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    Frank

_
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  20. shyambali

shyambali Member