1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by trishajoy, Mar 31, 2007.

1. KotaGuy

KotaGuy Regular member

No I'd keep both Ad-Aware and AVG AntiSpyware. One may catch something the other misses. Just remember to update them weekly and scan with them often.

But you can now delete WinPFind, RustBFix, Gmer, FindAWF and FixBlast.

Keep ATFCleaner and run it weekly to clean up temp files/junk that you don't need clogging up your hard drive.

And honestly... your 2.4gig hard drive is barely enough for XP... I highly recommend you get a bigger one if you can. A 20 or 40 Gig one would probably be fine for you... and they're pretty cheap nowadays.

And you're very welcome... I'm glad I could help :)

2. KotaGuy

KotaGuy Regular member

As for a PopupBlocker... install the Google Toobar for IE... it has its own PopupBlocker that works good :)

Edit: Just remembered you have that installed... do you have the blocker function of the toolbar enabled?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  3. trishajoy

trishajoy Member

Yeah, I know about the hard drive being too barely enough. It origionally had the 40 gig but that crashed on me, so I took an older comp. drive and installed the xp on it, and by the suggestion of my brother, wiped clean the 40 gig and am now using that as the slave.... not sure how to get that to be the Master.
    Anyway, again... I thank you!

4. KotaGuy

KotaGuy Regular member

You would need to change the jumpers on the back of the hard drives to switch them from slave>master and master>slave.

That would mean reinstalling XP on the 40Gig one though.

5. trishajoy

trishajoy Member

I did try that once and for some reason I just kept having trouble. Not sure why. I must have been doing it wrong, but then I am not that comp. knowledgeable. Also, my brother is usually my only help in this type of stuff and he isn't very easy to get ahold of and so since I had it up and running the way I did (with the smaller drive)when I did get ahold of him, he suggested to just use the 40 gig as slave.
    Anyway, again... thank you!

6. KotaGuy

KotaGuy Regular member

No problem.

And thank you for being so patient while we worked through it.

You had some nasty infections in your PC.

You did good though ;)

7. trishajoy

trishajoy Member

Hey, just thought I'd let you know that your suspicions on that c:/Windows/System32/setldr.dll came up in my scan today as a Trojan.Downloader.Agent.KCU in my scan today and was successfully deleted. So, now you know what that is when you see it.
    Also, is it okay to go in and uninstal the Kaspersky?

8. KotaGuy

KotaGuy Regular member

Thanks Trisha :)

You shouldn't have anything from Kaspersky to uninstall... it was just online scanner you were using.

9. trishajoy

trishajoy Member

there is a folder in my system32 that says Kaspersky Lab and it's also in my add and remove program area.

10. KotaGuy

KotaGuy Regular member

???

OK... yes you can uninstall that then.

If the Kaspersky folder is still in your System32 folder after you've uninstalled it you can delete the Kaspersky folder too.