1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need major help, newbie question

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by u2konline, Sep 20, 2007.

1. u2konline

u2konline Member

I have a large ISO file, over 1GB. Ok, so i have dvd/combo drive , and i was thinking i needed a larger blank cd file to burn the large 1GB file. SO i bought a DVD+R disc, from sony and my dvd/combo drive doesnt read the disc. I mean, i put the disc in, it loads up a bit( green light flashing ), but i dont see it in the D:\ section???????????

What do i do to burn this file, do i need to install a dvd problem or something?

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You have one of those already.
    Seriously though, You should download and install ImgBurn and use it to burn your .iso to your DVD. It's free and an excellent .iso burning program.

3. u2konline

u2konline Member

Its not detecting the disc. I put the disc in, the green light is blinking like its loading, then nothing shows up. Should i have bought a DVD-R, instead of a DVD+R?

4. u2konline

u2konline Member

Drive C:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

???????????

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Unless you post your drives model number it's hard to make a format recommendation. Generally newer drives can use either format.
    Try a different/better brand of media. Use this list as a guide:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

If you are running FAT32 file system instead of NTFS then you cannot have any file larger than 4 Gb.
    You should convert to NTFS.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

DVD .iso files can be very large and exceed your FAT32 4 Gb limitation.

6. u2konline

u2konline Member

Wait a min, you said " FAT32 4 Gb limitation. " The dvd blank disc is 4.7. So do they sell DVD+R or DVD-R blank disc's that are 1GB or 2GB/3B/ or 4G ( but not over 4GB ) in size ?

If so where, because lately the only blank cds that are dvd are over 4GB, like 4.7 or higher.

Btw i cant covert, because i'm using windows98se.

7. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

The major typed of blank DVD are either single layer (4.7 gigs) or DL (8.5 gigs), the problem you are having is that the file system your operating system is set up for is FAT32, which doesn't support files over 4 gigs. So the problem isn't the discs you are trying to use, you have the right ones, but rather your file system. Fasfrank gave you a link to change yours to NTSF which doesn't have these limitations and will eliminate the error you are seeing.

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Have you thought about upgrading your computer? Folks trying to use old operating systems with new programs are asking for trouble. Yours is a typical problem. I do not know if Win98SE will even run correctly after changing to NTFS. I personally can't stand stuff that will not do what I want it to do and tend to replace it, rather than spend hours researching, repairing and fixing all the other stuff that invariably crops up after a major change. In the end you are still stuck with a repaired, old OS, that sort of works on some of the programs... That's just my opinion.

Thanks for your input LOCOENG. Always relevent and clear.

9. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Hey Frank...good to see you.

I missed the reference to Win98 and I'm with you now, don't know if it can be done and probably just time to move on. If you don't want to spend a heap of money on a new PC, or OS even, Linux may be something to look at. Very small footprint and free.

Here is one that creaky, one of our resident Linux cosmonauts, recommends for older PC's.

TinyMe ~ http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=tinyme