1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i need some suggestions for a digital camera

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by bizkit101, Sep 4, 2008.

1. bizkit101

bizkit101 Member

hi i wuz searching arround for digital cameras and i couldnt find wut i wanted so i decided to ask around i am looking for a camera for a good price and one that uses a memory card so i can edit easier i want a good quality video becuz im mostly going to use it for video and i need it to have good quality like it wont break so easy and a good zoom but don't want sumting too expensive and one that is good for videos plz help and don't pm me i want everyone to be able to see it links to reviews would help

2. susieqbbb

susieqbbb Guest

Ok video wise i Dont recommend a digital camera i would recommend a dvi camera digital cameras don't really shoot video all that well and for long periods of time.

How ever if you are looking at a camera these are the companies i recommend for a starter.

Samsung

Kodak

Nikon

Canon

And i am really sorry to say there really isn't a cheap camera most of these cameras start at 149.99 to 500.00 for a used nikon.

But just remember this when buying a camera.

1. Ask yourself which features do a really need.

2. Dont buy a camera with a feature you might use buy a camera with a feature you will use. (just because it sounds cool doesn't mean it is.)

3. Look at what software the camera comes with kodak and even canon are rigged to there software when doing advance features.

4. Dont ever trust your light meter in your camera if your camera told you to jump off a cliff would you get a external light meter.

3. bizkit101

bizkit101 Member

okay so if i were to look at dvi cameras which ones would you suggest and a price range from 200 to about 450 is ok

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@susieqbbb.......... can you explain to me what you mean by this:
    3. Look at what software the camera comes with kodak and even canon are rigged to there software when doing advance features

I really don't understand what you mean? I have a Canon camera and I use their software..... but I also use other software especially Photoshop CS3. So tell me how rigged to their software is Canon, because I don't see it? If a camera has a memory card then you don't need the camera's software .... you can use any photo software you want to upload your pictures from your card to the computer and then edit it with any photo editing software. I just don't understand your statement about camera software and why it's so important? It isn't important at all! Not when you have a memory card where you can take your pictures and upload to any computer and use any software you want! Even if you used their direct USB to upload your pictures to a computer..... all you need to do is have the camera driver installed in the computer and you can do what you want with the pictures with any software! what makes the camera's software so important to you?

5. bizkit101

bizkit101 Member

it means that some more advanced features sometimes can't be done without the software from those companies but just use paint.net or window movie maker both free just search paint.net in google its safe becuz its from microsoft

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

not so! the most ADVANCED photo editing software there is is Photoshop CS3~ soon CS4! and there isn't any software from the camera companies that will block you from using photo editing software that does ADVANCED FEATURES! So I still don't understand why it's important to get software with your camera when there is plenty of software out there that will do great jobs with advanced features.

Same thing with a computer....... I don't limit myself in buying a computer because it doesn't have a certain software package! I will get the software... just buy the computer (or camera) that fulfills your photo needs..... software can always be added later!

7. susieqbbb

susieqbbb Guest

I didn't say they block you.

I said they are rigged like for instant canon digital cameras wont communicate with windows xp or mac without a driver this is common for a lot of powershot cameras.

Now on to the dvi video camera there are several makers that i like right now one is jvc they have a nice hd 1920 digital camera right now you can connect via to a external burner and burn direct to dvd after you are done recording your video for the day.

Another one.

Sony has some impressive dvi cameras even ones you can save money on by purchasing refurbished from there online store.

8. joytime36

joytime36 Member

Personally I agree with this opinion. And I don't any experience with many brands I use canon, it is quite reliable.

9. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

just to clarify something:

you can't possibly say that windows or mac should have ALL drivers for ALL cameras, do you? If you attach a camera to a USB in the computer, MOST cameras in order to communicate will need to install a driver so the computer can recognize the digital footprint! I don't understand what you are complaining about? I'm just confused why you would make this a hindrance in picking out a camera? and this isn't what you said in the beginning:
    software is not a driver for a computer to recognize the digital device! software is a program that specifically does something like Photoshop CS3 (an image editing program). I still don't understand your reasoning in picking out a camera..... whether it be drivers or software! either way this would NOT be a prohibiting factor in choosing a camera! IMHO.

10. techoter

techoter Member

Canon is certainly one of the more reliable brands, though I think the Nikon point and shoots are improving. Fuji is usually a decent bet too.

11. varnull

varnull Guest

All good advice. The only brand to be wary of is Olympus.. and then only because of the expensive memory cards.

Photoshop may be "the most advanced", but then again it's horribly expensive and slow. Also it's totally unfathomable for most people who just want to resize, crop or rotate an image.. which lets be honest.. is what 90% of photoshop users want to do and nothing more. They get misled by being given bad advice from fans of a program pointing them at hugely expensive bolatware applications which are a million times more advanced than they will ever need.

Most of what the average photoshop user wants to do with a picture can be achieved with freeware programs like gimpshop which doesn't cost many hundreds of dollars for features you will never ever use, and it doesn't take 10 minutes to load or hijack every image on your computer either.. because that's the most annoying trait with photoshop... that damn 10 minute load time "image viewer" POS

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  12. phaye

phaye Guest

My aunties own SPAM digicam and they are nice. Choose SPAM because they have nice quality and wide screen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2009