1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to format 2 hard drives!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by comprun, Jan 26, 2005.

1. comprun

comprun Guest

I have windows xp and i want to format 2 of my hard drives on my comp. they are both western digital one is 40gb and the other is 200gb.After i format them could someone tell me how i install xp after.

Thanks all who anwser

2. Mickythin

Mickythin Member

OK I assume you know how to format your 2 drives? I suggest that when you install XP it's on the 40 gig Or partision 20 gig from the 200 gig drive and install it there. You need to go into bios and select CD as first boot device and insert xp disk and reboot then just follow on screen instrucions...easy...any problems pm me!

3. comprun

comprun Guest

no sry i dont know how to format the hard drives..........could u please tell me........i never did it before...........o and do i choose boot disk after i format the hard drives?

4. Mickythin

Mickythin Member

To be honest if you've never done it before, get somebody who has a little knowlage of pc's to do it for you. Or read up as much as possible on the subject before formatting both drives, also try formatting the drive without XP on first! so if things get messy you still have a pc you can boot from. There are pleny of sites that can guide you through the process just search "formatting harddrive" in google

5. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

change 1st boot to cd in bios and save.
    insert xp cd and reboot
    follow the promts till it asks where you want to install
    point to 200gb, select 100gb worth (not 100, type in 1/2 of what the screen is showing) and format as ntfs
    select unpartitioned space on 200gb (which is the other half) format as ntfs
    this gives you 2 100gb hard drives, which is more manageable in my opinion. If you want more, work out 1/3, or 1/4 of 200gb and repeat the steps
    select 40gb and format to ntfs. Select this drive as your primary drive and choose tio install to this drive

****when installing the drives, make sure your 40gb drive is on primary channel master

6. comprun

comprun Guest

thanks all who anwered....um by the way wats ntfs?

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

NTFS - New Technology File System
    designed for Windows NT, 2000, XP

8. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

its isnt that expensive to pay for someone to do it and only takes around 1/2 hour at the most.