1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to move a big file from one computer to another

Discussion in 'PS2' started by ructwenty, May 29, 2004.

1. ructwenty

ructwenty Guest

ok, one of my computers has a burner but no dvd rom and the other computer has a dvd rom but no burner. i used the computer with a dvd rom to save a dvd based ps2 game iso image to disk. now i need to get the iso image over to the other computer so that i can burn it to a cd but the file is too big for me to email or fit on a floppy and i have no burner to put it on a cd. i need your ideas on how to move an iso image from one computer to another. thanks

2. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

Go to the computer with the burner.

Use dvd decrypter and choose iso-->read. Place the game in the burner drive, and make the iso using the burner drive. It will take longer, but you can still make the iso and burn the iso using the burner.

3. jumbo11

jumbo11 Regular member

Buy a couple flash cards (256MB), RAR the file and stuff the cards with its parts.

:p

jk

4. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

or just use logic... and put the burner into the other pc its REALLY easy....

5. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

logic? how many users of this forum are able to excercise a simple level of logic?

You are too hopeful Cyp!@

6. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

btw dude talk to me on msn... i got something for ya... if you still need it its the 4.1 real this time ^_^...

7. ructwenty

ructwenty Guest

well i would move the cd burner but it is in a desktop computer and i would be moving it to a laptop and i'm not logical enough to know how to do that.

nrk, i tried that using dvd decrypter but it doesnt even recognize that there is any media in the drive.

8. JJAnubis

JJAnubis Member

ummm, I'm assuming that neither of your computers are networked eh?

could it be just as simple as sharing the file?

9. ructwenty

ructwenty Guest

nope. they are not networked

10. TheAssman

TheAssman Guest

Get a usb hard drive and just transfer the info that way if you dont wanna swap the drives which I would assume is possible even though its from laptop to pc or vice versa. good luck.

11. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

ummm burning a dvd with a cdr?... thats like REALLY posibble?...

12. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

Yeah, the only way to burn a dvd based game to a cd-r is to rip it which strongly recomend against. Anyway, instead of questioning your logic I am just going to give the instruction on how to transfer that iso file to your other computer. Since you don't have a network here's how I would do it:
    1. create two different AIM accounts
    2. log on to one AIM account on the computer with the iso file and log on to the other with the burner
    3. transfer the iso file from the computer with the dvd rom drive to the computer with the burner. There is no limit to how large a file you transfer through AIM.
    There you go!

13. Dany22

Dany22 Member

man...instead of doing all that shitty solutions wich can take like more than a hour take this example:

its easier if you go out and buy a damn inverted RJ45 network cable at 20-25$ and u connect both pcs via the network cards..after u share the file from one pc and copy it from the other one..and u are done..in 10-15 mins its done..

Dany22

14. andyfrank

andyfrank Regular member

or u use a file splitting program such as file splitter deluxe and u split into 700 meg piecs and burn to cdrw and put to other pc

15. WEStar

WEStar Active member

using the crossover cable like dany mentioned would be much simpler.... I still don't know what this thread has to do with ps2... OH right, it's an image of a ps2 game :/

16. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

LOL some of these replies are damned funny.

17. ellizit

ellizit Guest

lol, here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Take the hard drive out of the laptop.
    Place it into an external enclosure.
    Hook it up to the desktop.

Anyway, easiest method would still be the crossover cable (in my oppinion).

18. Badkarma

Badkarma Regular member

why not try to compress it with winzip and then just e-mail it to your other computer.that should cut the size down considerabily.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2004
  19. kenmo

kenmo Member

That is of course assuming both machine have network connections and networking is set up on them...

Another possibility is using the "direct cable connection" facility in Windows and getting the appropriate cable from your friendly local computer store (or big box discount retailer or whatever) to connect their parallel (printer) ports together. Direct Cable Connection must be installed in Windows Setup, and must be enabled in the Network Properties. Once set up it works like a charm and is a great alternative when you don't have an ethernet port.

Of course, if you do have ethernet on both machines, the crossover network cable is the easiest & fastest.

And Oner, U R so right :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Platform Agnostic: Amiga * Mac * Linux * Windoze
    I use 'em all :)[/small]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2004
  20. kenmo

kenmo Member

One more possibility is USB to USB file transfer. There are tons of outfits selling USB crossover + software bundles for doing this. The cheapest I could find was at:

http://www.thenerds.net/productpage.asp?un=164185&s=1

But any well stocked dealer should have something like this.