1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need your opinions on 8X media ,bye bye 4X ?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by karatone, Nov 23, 2004.

1. karatone

karatone Regular member

I've been using 4X ridatas with perfect results for over a year, but now that the 4X media is slowly being discontinued at my local supply the difference in price for the faster 8X Ridatas are 6 cents more a piece which isn't at all a problem,but I'd like to know from forum members when burning at 8X with actual 8X media has the quality and consistency stayed the same. Cause I've heard that when burning movie back-ups it's best to burn at a slower speed for best results, my drive is running modified firmware allowing faster burns with slower media but I've had playback problems when doing so ,the fastest I've gone on this is 6X with 4X media. I would like to know when I buy the 8X media do I need to back down the recording speed to get good results . any info on this would be helpful, thanks

2. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

Yes. I buy either 4X or 8X media for DVD films, whichever is the best deal, and then always burn at 4X.

I've found that when burning at 8X, and then playing on my stand-alone players, there are two hesitation and/or pixellation points that coincide when the burn speed increases from 4X to 6X, and from 6X to 8X. I don't need care for these interruptions, so I just always burn at 4X.

Other people apparently have no noticeable effects, or at least don't report any, when burning at 8X. So my advice is to try burning at 8X, then see how well the disk plays back in your player.

3. ERA2000

ERA2000 Regular member

I burn all my Riteks at 8x and Taiyo Yudens at 12x with a Plextor-712A and never have had any problems.
    Prodisc's at 8x is another story.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey karatone, I have been using branded Verbatim 8x but burning at 4x. These are pretty good. THey are also sweet in my standalone recorder on my tv. The stand alone calls for 4x. No coasters on first 35 of spindle.They cost a little more "$35.00" for spindle of 50,but no coasters on the first 35 discs so far.The best part, they play perfectly on most stand alone players from my buddies and family who watch them. Just wanted to give you or anyone else checking out this thread some info. Happy turkey day! gobble gobble

anybody else

5. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

lol u all trying to burn at the fastest speed possible, I always try to burn at 1x which my writer dont support.
    But the msg is burn at 1x or at least 2x for compatibility. If you burn it at 8x and it dont work, then u will have to do it all over again, that's like tripple the amount of work. So y dont u get it right in the first place.