1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I/O device error message.......ugh

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by DVDDMAN, Oct 23, 2004.

1. DVDDMAN

DVDDMAN Member

Hello all.......

I just recently purchased a Lite-on dvd burner. I also am using Shrinkware and Nero to try to copy/burn my dvds. Everytime I attempt to use Shrinkware to copy the dvd to my harddrive an error message appears saying, "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."???????
    I know I have my dvd burner drive hooked up properly, as I can watch my dvds from it. I believe I am using Shrinkware properly, as I am doing everything the guide from this website says. Does anyone have any ideas on why I am getting this error message? What should I do?

2. madjock

madjock Member

I'd suggest trying to narrow down WHERE the error occurs. instead of doing disc to disc, try disc to HDD Folder first. If it falls over then, we at least kknow it's the read/encode section. If it can write to the HDD, then just use Nero to burn video files to DVD manually.

3. colw

colw Active member

Never heard of Shrinkware - do you mean DVD Shrink??

4. DVDDMAN

DVDDMAN Member

Thanks for the replies. That was my bad on calling the software Shrinkware....I guess it is called DVD Shrink. As for narrowing down where the error is occurring.......I have been trying to send the files to my harddrive. That is when the error occurs. The encoding process gets to a certain percent...like 20% or so...and then the, "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" message appears. So it's a problem with either Shrink, my harddrive, or something in between?

5. colw

colw Active member

How much free space do you have available on your hardrive? - approx 10GB required.

What operating system are you using? (XP, 2000, 98 etc,).

6. DVDDMAN

DVDDMAN Member

I currently am using Windows XP and have 26.1 GB free.

7. madjock

madjock Member

Does the I/O error occur on multiple DVDs ?
    Have you run a scandisc (Thorough) on destination HD ?
    Has XP had SP2 installed ?
    I did have probs when I added SP2, then after I installed DVD DEcrypter DVD Shrnk started to work fine again (0dd) and I assume you are on latest release of DVD Shrink

8. DVDDMAN

DVDDMAN Member

I will run scandisk tonight to see if there are problems there. This is probably a stupid question, but what is SP2? I have DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, and Nero downloaded for use now. Yes, the problem appears for every dvd that I try. ugh

9. bruwery

bruwery Member

SP2 refers to Microsoft's "Service Pack 2" for Windows XP. Several threads on this site allude to it causing problems with DVDShrink, though I don't recall seeing a detailed explanation of how or why.

10. hollyw00d

hollyw00d Guest

Hi, had this exact problem and all I had to do was update nero. I updated to 6.3 and everything was peachy! enjoy

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there madjock, welcome to aD,

An I/O error is probably caused by using cheap media, the reason you see that on several discs is you keep feedingyour PC the same stuff. Think of the discs as Lima Beans :( An upgrade in media quality will solve that for you -

Cheers,

Pete