1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I/O Error (Power on, reset, or BUS Device reset ocurred)]

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by bwinarch, Jan 4, 2005.

1. bwinarch

bwinarch Member

I've been burning on my Sony DRU-510A for about 2 years now and up until recently had very few problems. Over the first year and a half I think I only pounded out 2-3 costers, of which 2 were definitely my fault. Through this time period I was burning on an early version of DVDXCopy Xpress. I then experimented with Elby's Clone DVD with mixed results (I was happier with the burn process itself, but had a significantly higher failure rate). I uninstalled Clone DVD and moved to a combination of DVD Decrypter / DVD Shrink. At this point, I determined the burning problems I had been experiencing to be due to a bad batch of Memorex media. I've recently read ScubaPete's lesson on media and found that there may have been some legitimacy to my theory about their crummy media. Recently, however, I've encountered an "I/O Error - Power On, Reset, or Bus Device Reset Occurred" that keeps popping up. I'm using Sony media at this point and have had reasonable success with this brand in the past (though I must say the Verbatim, TDK, and Fujifilm media I've purchased has enjoyed a 100% success rate). After a recent I/O crap-out, I upgraded my firmware from 1.0A to 1.1A, which said it should improve burn reliability, but it hasn't. I've never had Roxio poison on my system (all the experts can't possibly be wrong) and am running Nero as my CD burning software. Any suggestions are appreciated; at this point I'm starting to suspect that my tired and true DRU-510A is on her last leg...

2. ejd405

ejd405 Member

I just purchased the Sony DRU-710A and am getting a similar error. I have only successfully burned one dvd using dvd shrink and actually burning the dvd using nero 6. The error message I get is also an I/O error. I located a box to check under preferences in DVD shrink, but it is gray and I am unable to check the box in which I believe the problem is stemming from. Any help would be great if you have run into this problem.

3. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

bwinarch , your burner very well could be on its way out . i had a dru 500ax that lasted 1.5 years and the folks at bestbuy told me that these burners are worn out after about 500 burns . are you able to burn regular cdr's ? mine would burn cds but not dvds when it finally needed to be replaced . it might be time to start shopping for a new burner or atleast test your 510a in another machine .

4. bwinarch

bwinarch Member

Thanks for the quick (albeit unhappy) reply, dlc200. ejd405, I've ironed out my problem and have had about a dozen successful burns over the past few days. First, I went to www.storagebysony.com and downloaded the latest firmware update for my drive (v 1.1A). This promised more reliable burns, but didn't appear to help. I then tried changing the DMA settings on my drive. In order to do this (which appears to be an easy fix to a common problem according to the Sony site), I uninstalled the drive in the device manager and rebooted. Then I went into the device manager / ide controllers / secondary ide controller and changed the drive from PIO to DMA mode. It kept trying to default back to PIO mode, so I "Updated" the secondary ide driver (click update driver, then "choose from a list", then pick "seconday ide channel"), then I restarted. Smooth sailing with faster, more reliable burns (knock on wood). At this point (fingers crossed) it looks like an update of my Via drivers threw the drive off kilter. Good luck!!!