1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I/O Error (ripping to HDD)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by SadJoker, Mar 29, 2005.

1. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

kay Im using DVDShrink 3.2.0.15 under WinXP SP2 on an AMD Athlon 2100 1 GB RAM machine, ripping from a Lite-on SOHD167T (running latest Firmware) Lite-On presently running from Adaptec PCI IDE controller as MASTER on its own channel all by itself..Setup worked flawlessly for months up till reinstalled WinXp and SP2.. after reinstall of XP and SP2, ripping headache began as stated below:

Now problem is that DVDShrink starts to encode the dvd to any one of my 5 HDDs and will just die @ around 68% or thereabouts with the error : DVD Shrink has encountered an error and cannot conitune failed to write G:/DVDRips/whatever dvd/vts.xxx.ifo and G:/DVDRips/whatever dvd/vts.xxx.vob something about I/O device error [DVD Shrink doesnt say what device is causing the I/O error plus Im not on my pc atm so cant get the exact error message to the letter]

Thing is, DVD Decrypter will rip any DVD to any of my drives with no problems whatsoever.. so I'll try to run the files thru DVD Shrink to shrink them down, get the same error as above when encoding/outputting to a hdd

any idea whats got DVDShrink being such a PITA?

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

wonder if it's worth deleting the dvd shrink analysis folder. mine's in D:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINNT\Application Data\DVD Shrink

dunno if that'll work, but next maybe try a an uninstall of Shrink and reinstall ??

3. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

Just deleted everything in the DVDShrink Application data folder, going try ripping another dvd later and see what happens...

as for uninstalling and reinstalling DVDShrink itself, that didnt seem to work. Tried that route already to no avil :(

anyway - Just reflashed the Lite-ON dvdrom & completely uninstalled both the DVDRom's drivers and the PCI IDE controller's drivers.. gunna reboot and cross fingers lol

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

k..

this may be a daft question but have you tried pointing shrink to write to another hard drive, if you're on G: hopefully you got some more space somewhere :)

5. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

yea Ive tried pointing DVDShrink to all of my HDDs, even those that arent on the same PCI IDE controller card. Oddly enuff, Shrink ripped to C and D drive (motherboard IDE connected HDDs) but the DVD files came up SNAFUED ; WinDVD refused to play them so did Nero Showtime and PowerDVD wouldnt even load them..

On a good note : after removing and reinstalling the drivers PCI IDE card's drivers as well as the Lite-On itself I was able to rip a rip (reripped a backup disc) to G:.. Gunna test to see if Fixed the problem all around later today