1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I/O Error Semaphore Timeout

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Luxt, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Luxt

Luxt Member

I tried to play a DVD thru WMP and this popped up--The Request Could Not Be Performed Becuase Of An I/O Device Error. Sorry I never tried to even play a DVD, I just assumed it worked since I have a DVD Rom and some software(all that came with the PC). Thanks for ppointing this out, I never watched a DVD on my PC so I just assumed. Maybe this will make things easir. Sorry Nephilim for the headaches.

2. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Thats good to no but, Luxt you never answered Nephilims question ?

3. Luxt

Luxt Member

I have not tried this on another PC.

4. regor

regor Regular member

Hi Luxt - Did you attempt to play the DVD on an internal DVD drive or the external drive? That would be important to know. If you are having issues with both internal and external devices it points to the PC - HW or configuration.

Take Nephilim's lead and see if your external DVD writer works on another PC. Narrow it down to one or the other, namely, the DVD writer or the PC. If you are also having issues with the internal drive I'm ready to place my bet :)

R

5. Luxt

Luxt Member

The internal drive isn't playing the disc either, same problem. I didn't try the drive on another PC yet but it is brand new and it is a reputable brand.

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Let's try another ASPI install to see if we can get your internal drive playing DVDs. In basic terms ASPI is a small driver layer that sits between your drives and system and allows them to communicate. Here's a link to the download and instructions:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101614

Last edited: Nov 13, 2004
  7. Luxt

Luxt Member

I have noticed other have had problems getting their drives to work after downloading the Windows Service Pack 2. Anyone figured out to fix this problem. I already unistalled the SP2 and still the same problem.

8. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Good now go try Nephilims aspi website.

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Did you have this problem before SP2?

10. Luxt

Luxt Member

I did not have this problem before the download of the SP2. I did unistall SP2 but I still have the problem. I've read thru others who have had the same problem but I haven't found the solution in any of the threads.

11. regor

regor Regular member

Hi Luxt - Please qualify that last statement about not having this problem before SP2 - you mean you have successfully made a DVD backup pre-SP2, and then it stopped working after you installed SP2? You indicated earlier that you had never played a DVD in the internal drive so please be specific - was this working and then STOPPED working?

If that is the case, and if system restore is enabled (it is by default) I would go back to a restore point prior to installing SP2 - going back to that restore point is effectively going back to a snap-shot of your system before SP2 was even installed - that is different than un-installing.

After doing that, and still problems, here is my advice (and I think Nephilim and Mcalister will echo)... You have a couple of suggestions that you should follow up on as outlined above and in prior posts. Bottom line you need to verify your PC functionality. You should, at a minimum, be able to playback a DVD with your internal DVD drive - even older systems can do that much.

If your system is relatively new (still under warranty) you should get the manufacturer or retailer to work with you on this.

We do need some more insight to the errors. Device Manager information is helpful; for example, does your internal DVD show up healthy in DM? Can you tell us how DMA is configured? You check DMA in Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Can you read a CD from that drive? What is the IDE setup for the DVD, primary, secondary? Is your HDD on the same channel as your DVD?

If it were me I'd un-install the DVD in Device Manager and let the system re-install it.

Can you give us some detail on your system configuration. PC make/model? DVD make/model? Have you checked to see if there are any internal diagnostics? maybe CD based utilities, maybe already installed on the system?

Does your system BIOS settings show extended detail on the DVD or does it simply indicate its presence?

I know I'm asking a lot but I'm trying to get more information to work with.

R

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  12. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Sound like some good ideas regor.

13. Basher13

Basher13 Member

Hello Everyone,

I too am new to burning backup copies of my DVDs and have been running into the same I/O Error Semaphore Timeout. The difference is that the other error I receive is this:

E 15:41:32 Failed to Write Sectors 554464 - 554495 - Invalid Address For Write

My burner is also external and is in a USB 2.0

I have followed Scuba Pete's guide using DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. Thus far I have been successful with 1 out of 7 attempts. Could this be the result of an error with my system, the programs or the media I have been using (HP dvd+r 8X).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

14. regor

regor Regular member

Hi Basher13 - Sounds like the suggestions previously made in this thread apply to you. Try your external writer on another PC; check to see if the manufacturer has new firmware download for your model. Check your ASPI layer; verify you can read a DVD on your PC, etc.

Probably frustrating but you need to verify your PC and DVD HW are working properly, and that you have the basic writing SW installed i.e. ASPI layer.

Hope this helps you along the way. R

15. Basher13

Basher13 Member

I have tried wiping the discs prior to buring and slowing down buring speed to 4X rather than Max. Thus far I have successfully backed up two discs on two tries. Hopefully, those changes will continue working.

Thanks for your reply.

16. Ponchitto

Ponchitto Member

Had the same problem burning with DVD Decrypter when I turned my old NED ND-1100A (well, 1300-A via firmware...)external through USBs 2.0, ironically a NEC PCI card. (It came with my A7M-266-D Asus Motherboard) But after messing up a couple of Smart buy's blank DVD's (cheaper than +R ones)I discovered that just a couple of clicks on "retry" and the DVDs burned correctly.
    Try it,