1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I/O Error while using Decrypt & Shrink

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Clnt400, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Clnt400

Clnt400 Guest

While using DVD Decrypter & DVD Shrink I encountered an I/O error during burn. The movie was Hidalgo -the I/O Error read as follows ==
    DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME) Failed!

Device: [1:0:0] SONY DVD RW DW-U18A UYSI (E:) (ATA)

Unable to unlock volume for exclusive access.

Reason: Access is denied.

2. Clnt400

Clnt400 Guest

At any rate, I am new to all of this. The first DVD I attempted to burn (Terminator 3), came out just fine. The second, not so good. I have been attempting to burn the DVD for the last days and nights. I'm giving up on it, but any help for future problems of this variety would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

3. asap

asap Member

same error, just clicked "ignore" and burned the disk just fine. am continuing to research, however.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

This is most commonly caused by packet writing apps such as InCD, DLA or Drag to Disc. Part of the way they work is to keep constant access to the drive so when another burning app needs to gain exclusive access to the drive it can't and the write process will be aborted. If you have any packet writing apps, uninstall them and see if that clears up your problem.

If that doesn't work it could also be Windows built in IMAPI burning service which also likes to keep access to the drive. It's a useless app to begin with and even more so when you have dedicated burning software installed.

IMAPI can be disabled by following these steps:

Start >
    Control Panel >
    Administrative Tools >
    Services >

Now scroll down to IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service and double click it.

In the Properties window under the General tab look for the Startup Type drop down menu and select Disabled. Click OK and you're good to go.

If, and only if, the steps above don't work you can set Decrypter to where it doesn't need to lock the drive by doing the following:

Tools > Settings > ISO Write Mode > then uncheck "Lock Volume - Exclusive Access".

By using this method you're possibly leaving yourself open to failed burns if another app interrupts the burn process.

5. Clnt400

Clnt400 Guest

Thank you, Nephilim. Since I've written that thread I've seen the error several more times, and it's crazy, but when it comes up I restart the computer and it everything runs fine. I'll try to uninstall the other aps, thank you.