1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I/O Error While Using ISO Write w/ DVD Decrypter

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jeffswife, Feb 23, 2006.

1. jeffswife

jeffswife Member

I have been sucessfully copying DVDs (without shrinking) for a year now, up until just a few days ago. I use only DVD Decrypter to 1. ISO > Read and 2. ISO > Write at the lowest speed possible. The other day, for the first time, I got this message at 50% of ISO > Write:

I/O Error!
    Device: [1:0:0] HP DVD Writer 640C CS30 (D:) (ATA)
    Scsi Status: 0X02
    Interpretation: Check Condition
    CDB: 2A 00 00 1F 40 80 00 00 20 00
    Interpretation: Write(10) Sectors 2048128-2048159

Sense Area: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 02 03 04 05
    Interpretataion: Write Error

and if I click Try Again, I get a slightly different sense area with "Imvalid Address for Write".

I am using Verbatim Double Layer disks.
    I have not yet updated to IMGBurn.
    I did go to the HP web site to update the firm ware for the DVD Writer, but they don't have the dvd640C.

I never did have any software for the DVD Writer. I did a search online for dvd640c firmware, and did find it on some web sites, but they say "for advanced users only" and "at your own risk", etc., so I was afraid of installing the wrong file.

Any ideas on what my most likely culprit is? I don't want to waste any more $ on media.

2. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member

Your burner hates your media. Verbatim is very good media however, so your instinct to upgrade your firmware is probably the correct. You can get it here...

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=4&manufactor=37

(Yours is the one all the way at the bottom)

There is also a Region Free firmware patch by the Dangerous Bros. They do good work.

Let me know if flashing your firmware helps.

(Edited post to fix bad link... my fault)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  3. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@jeffswife
    For the link JXP2307 gave you want to flash your drive w/ JS04.
    Really not that bad and may correct the problem. Download the file, close down any programs running, make sure no discs are in the drive, open up the downloaded file - usually it will show your drive or have a scroll bar where you can pick the right one. Now hit start, update or something similar (do not shut down) and your drive will be flashed.
    When done (doesn't take very long at all) reboot and you should be set!
    You also might want to run a lens cleaner thru the drive and clean up the lens.

4. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member

You rock Binkie...

5. jeffswife

jeffswife Member

You guys are awesome! Thanks for responding so quickly, the link and the step by step instructions.

I updated the firmware, and also installed IMGBurn. The DVD Burn was sucessfully completed.

Can you tell me what causes the need to update your firmware? Is it just because the manufacturing specs on blank disks have changed? I guess I hadn't bought a new package of disks in probably six months.

Or is it possible that cheap media CAUSED the problem? I have always used Verbatim disks, until we bought some cheap stuff brand "Great Quality" made in Taiwan, which is when the problem started. But I continued to have the 50% problem even when I went back to Verbatim.

I'm just curious.

Oh yeah, I haven't run the lens cleaner yet, but plan on doing it in the near future.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  6. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@jeffswife
    You're welcome!
    The firmware does help with the specs of the disc - it helps the drive w/ read & write strategies on the different & newer media.
    The cheaper quality stuff can causes problems like burn errors or playback issues. Best to stay with the quality stuff like Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden.

@JXP2307
    btw txs for the congrats!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006