1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I/O Error with DVD Decrypter

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nimh, May 26, 2004.

1. nimh

nimh Member

I am trying to burn a DVD (have burnt plenty before!) and I am getting the following error message when I try to decrpty

I/O Error
    Device: [1:1:0] HL-DT-ST DVD RAM
    GSA- 4081B A100 (E:)
    Scsistatus: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check condition

CDB: 2800 0020 7SE 00 00 01 00
    Interpretation: Read (10) - sector 2127329

Sense Area:70 00 03 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 08 10 90 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    Interpretation: Unknown (0x10, 0x90)

Can anyone help??????

2. pudgy

pudgy Member

Hi Nimh

I get that same error sometimes...I have no idea what it is or how to stop it, but if I hit retry, it usually works..I havent been doing this long, but like I said hitting retry..even repeatedly if I have to does work..

Sher

3. Denzien

Denzien Regular member

Wouldn't a sector error mean a corruption on the DVD itself? Perhaps a smudge or scratch blocking the laser?

4. nimh

nimh Member

thanks.... still doesn't work if I keep hitting retry or continue

The Dvd plays fine in the dvd player..... but it does have scratches on it but no more or less than any other I have backed up......

5. Kyser143

Kyser143 Member

Hi Guys

Am getting the same error just will not work for me on my advent Laptop...2.6Hz 30gig pent 4 when I try the same PS2 game on mates Sony vio this works a treat....any ideas?

6. kdawg976

kdawg976 Member

I'm getting the same I/O error after producing a copy of my original Triple X disc (in near perfect quality) and then attempting to copy the copy using DVD Shrink for the entire process (including integrated Nero burn) as I do for most discs that I make, as well when I use DVD Decrypter to rip the origional disc first then shrink and burn with DVD Shrink. Either way I still get the same I/O error when trying to read the backup disc in DVD Decrypter, also DVD Shrink locks up when trying to open the disc. This is driving me nuts, any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2004
  7. venusfly

venusfly Member

I am also getting this same error. I'm trying to copy a non-protected disc and it goes through all the files, but when it's 90% done it stops and displays this error. Retrying hasn't worked for me. I tried another disc and the same thing happened 76% of the way through.

ETA: I just noticed one difference in the message from the one I'm getting. In the 'Interpretation:' field, mine says 'Unrecovered Read Error.'

Last edited: Jun 5, 2004
  8. Kyser143

Kyser143 Member

Thanks for all your help...what i did in the end was download the XP aspi which seemed to have 2 out of the four aspi files missing did not work when i tried decryptor...what i then did was download forceaspi which removed the ones i added and then installed the old 4.60 version. that again did not work on decryptor but it does seem to have worked with nero gave me a perfect burn. so will use decryptor to read and burn with nero...thanks for your help.

9. pudgy

pudgy Member

Ok, This may interest you guys, I am no longer getting that error. I ran out of dvd-r discs, I had some dvd+r that my sister couldnt use w/ her system..I have not had a problem since..keep in mind that my burner is "suppose" to accept either format, apparently she prefers the + format..Thought I would share that with ya'll.

Sher

10. kdawg976

kdawg976 Member

Pudgy,

I know exactly what you're talking about, I'm experiencing the same situation. I just purchased a stack of dvd-r discs, and have only experienced this problem since trying to copy copies burned onto these discs. The dvd+r discs I have been using have not given me this problem. I am using a Lite-On 4x dual format (+ and -) drive to burn the discs, and a nuber of nice DVD-ROM and DVD-R/+R drives to attempt to read these copies. Some copies come out fine, and can be copied, and copies can be copied, and copies can be copied, but others give this perplexing problem. It is so strange that stand alone players as well as any of the drives can play the movies just fine, but I am unable to extract the last couple files off of a number of the -R copies using DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, or DVD X Copy Xpress. I was really hoping that the problem wasn't with my media since I bought so many of these dics since they appeared to be such high quality. But on the other hand I'm glad the issue can be resolved by purchasing more +R discs. I will burn more test copies with +R discs once I order more to verify this. Is anyone else experiencing the same problems with their dual-format drives or -R discs rather than +R discs when trying to copy copies?

11. kdawg976

kdawg976 Member

Yep. That was the problem. When burning copies and copies of copies, and copies of those copies onto DVD+R media, I am able to keep making copies of the copies. When burning to DVD-R media, I am only able to play the copies, the data stored at the end of the disc can not be read by DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink.. Therefore no copies can be made. Strange huh?

12. RonnieB

RonnieB Member

Hi all,

I'm having the same read errors as described above. And yes, I'm trying to backup a copy of a copy. I've tried DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, CloneDVD, Smartripper, hell I even tried to demux the VOBs with VOBedit. Nothing worked, always a Cyclic Redundancy Check error or an I/O read error (DVD decrypter). (some side-info: my discs are not dirty, and do not have scratches on it).
    Till here, nothing seems different as explained above, so it must be the media. Except my (source) media is DVD+R >>> Traxdata, which is considered as a RICOH A-Brand. As far as I know these are pretty reliable. I'm confused, is it really the media???
    I'm using DVDMaestro to make the compilation. I randomly use Nero and Clone DVD to burn the compilation on a Traxdata DVD+R. I'm burning these DVD's with a LiteOn LDW-411S DVD +/- writer. Like I said, the errors occur after burning while reading and copying the burnt data to the HD. (Not while playing it, since this works fine on every DVD-player I've tested it on.)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  13. kdawg976

kdawg976 Member

Ronnie -

I am using the same burner. This truly is a perplexing problem. I can tell you that I've had 100% success copying copies burned on two different types of dvd+r media, and have had probably only 5-10% success copying copies burned on two different types of dvd-r media.

The successfully burned copies (the ones I'm trying to copy) always play fine in my standalone player, and of course in any DVD-ROM/-R/+R drive I stick them in. Although it doesn't matter which drive I use to try to rip them the CRC's happen with just about every -R disc, while every +R disc rips just fine.

Before being able to use this drive to produce reliable DVDs, or even CDs for that matter I found this guide - http://www.computerbb.org/about53.html helpful. For my situation, moving the drive to Master of the Secondary channel, then installing a bigger power supply (I'm up to a 550w now) fixed the issue with my burner producing mp3 CDs that would play in my car but would skip randomly. When i couldn't make a CD that I trusted, I knew I would not be able to make reliable DVDs.

Have you experienced other burning issues with the drive?

As far as media goes. I just buy whatever 100 pack of discs I can find on eBay for $60 so I have no idea what brand they are, all I know is that +R can be copied, and those copies can be copied, and those copies can be copied, whereas -R are problematic.

Good Luck

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  14. RonnieB

RonnieB Member

@ kdawg976

Thanks for your fast reply >>> greatly appreciated.

I thought my burner was a great device (great reviews and so on), and I have never experienced issues with it before. Except for this weird problem. I have only used Traxdata and Platinum DVD+R's, and the problems occur on many Traxdata DVD's (I've never tried to copy a Platinum copy, so I can't tell you if the errors would occur with platinum as well).
    I guess it's a combination of the media and the DVD burner that's causing the problem.
    Therefore, I would like to know which DVD+R's you use which aren't causing these problems.

15. moonstone

moonstone Member

Hello everyone
    I've had the same problem with the scsi error using Decrypter and Shrink. After ruining I don't know how many -and + DVD's I contacted my video card vendor, the burner vendor and they guided me to some updates for my burner and my intel chip. Since I've done those updates I haven't tried burning any DVD's yet. I have I/O Magic burner and they recommended using TDK, Fuji, and several others. Thanks for the info.

16. kdawg976

kdawg976 Member

Ronnie -

The +R media I use: Meritline DVD+R discs which are supposedly 8x compatable (as printed on label), but in fact are only 4x compatible as printed on center of discs themselves (also burning software only detects 4x compatibility), they have white inkjet printable tops, purple bottoms. The other discs that I've had success with I can't tell you the brand name of, this is the eBay auction that I got them from - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5100456217 I've tried some DVD-R media that look identical to the Meritline +R's (inkjet printable surface) and all, appear to be very good quality, bought on eBay as well, and They give me the same -R problems as the other -R discs I have tried.

17. RonnieB

RonnieB Member

Okay,
    Meritline has a Ritek mediacode and Traxdata has a Ricoh mediacode. I don't know the exact difference and I don't have the full mediacodes. But I still find it very weird that a burner doesn't properly work with Ricoh media, which is considered very reliable.

Hopefully for a solution, I've upgraded my LiteOn firmware (http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/e_index.asp). And I will buy Ritek DVD+R media instead of Ricoh.
    If I still experience problems, I will post them here as soon as they occur.

18. RonnieB

RonnieB Member

As for the problemdisks that can't be copied 1 on 1 I found a somewhat solution:
    With DVD Decrypter, go to Tools > Settings... > I/O tab and check the Ignore read errors box.
    Then just backup your DVD, like you normaly would.
    In my cases there were only a few sectors (from 5 till 25) with the read errors described by nimh. These bad sectors will be ignored and therefore not be copied. One sector can only contain 2048 bytes of data (2053 on disk). A DVD+R contains 2,295,104 sectors. If you would fit a 180 minutes movie on a DVD this means that a sector contains only 0.0047 seconds of movie (I'm sure that this is technically not correct, but I use it just to illustrate my point). My conclussion is that you can miss a few sectors. If it's just movie you're missing, you hardly notice the difference.

Oh, and be patient, because it can take a while before DVD Decrypter recognizes a read error and goes on to the next sector.

Good Luck

19. Mumbles19

Mumbles19 Member

how do i change the FAT32 thing to NTFS? anyone have any clue??

20. RonnieB

RonnieB Member

A [sarcastic]littlebit[/sarcastic] off topic, don't u think?!

As for your problem: try formatting your harddrive in NTFS structure instead of FAT32.