1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I/O errors when burning from the Hard drive after using Shrink.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by hrdbawl, Jun 12, 2004.

1. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Ok, I know what you're thinking, but I searched and 2 hours later, I still can't find the answer. Here is my issue.

I seem to be in the same predicament, but my problem hasn't fixed itself yet? I get two different errors AFTER the movie burned from the newest version of Shrink to the hard drive of my computer (XP, PIII 966 mhz, 512 mb, 20 gig's etc.) Then, when DVD Dycryptor (newest version too) pops up to do it's thing, it stalls with this error:

I/O error!

Device:[1:1:0] DVDRW IDE1008 0658 (E:)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 28 00 00 07 4A E5 00 00 01 00
    Interpretation: Read (10) - Sector: 477925

Sense Area: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 11 00 00 00 00 00
    Interpreation: Unrecovered Read Error

That is the error message when using a DVD+R or +RW disk by Sony and by Prodisc. The Sony is a 4x and the Prodisc is an 8x. My burner is dual and at 8x.
    I have killed 3 DVD+R's on this and keep getting this error 11% of the way through the actual burn.

According to Shrink, the movie burned over to the harddrive successfully, and I have burned some other movies successfully with this combo, including Return of the King which is very new and large. So how is it possible that I can't get other one's burned? Is this a hit a miss type of thing, or am I doing something wrong. I am all ears! Thanks in advance.

P.s. i have also received this error too which looks similar, but perhaps it isn't?

I/O error!

Device:[1:1:0] DVDRW IDE1008 0557 (E:)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 05 114 30 00 00 10 00
    Interpretation: Write (10) - Sectors: 332848 - 332863

Sense Area: 71 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 00
    Interpreation: Write Error

Again, sorry if this shows up somewhere and I didn't find it. Might I suggest a specific forum for Errors as there seems to be quite a few that show up? Thanks again.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

When you use Shrink to your HD, your creating ISO files right?

3. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Yes! I have followed the guides to the "T". It is weird, I can analyze them with shrink, Encode them with Shrink into a folder, and then when I go to burn them with my Sony DVD+R's or Prodisc DVD+R's, I start getting those two errors having killed 4 disks in all today! I think Shrink does it's job, but something goes amiss when DVD Dycryptor get's in on the burning phase. It kills both times right around the 11% into the burn phase. Another thought, I have 3 movies saved and backed up on my hard drive of which I can't get burned. I open DVD Dycryptor (not automatically which has worked with Shrink) after the back up by opening it up manually, and when I tell it to look in the proper folder, it doesn't recognize any movies in there. What's that all about? Thanks for responding flip218. I have been reading this forum and others now for over 8 hours trying to nail this damn thing down. E

4. flip218

The reason I asked if your creating ISO files is because DVD Decrypter only burns ISO's.

Browse the folder where you've save the files... Is it one file or many files per movie?

5. flip218

hrdbawl,

Do you have Nero?

6. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Yes I do. But the OEM version, not the full version. I don't know if this matters, but I do have that. As for the ISO question, the answer is YES. Let's put it this way, I use Shrink and I have it set to copy to the hard drive in ISO. Strange thing is that when I use DVD Dycrypt (i have it set automatically with Shrink, but sometimes I have to shut it down after it copies to the HDD) and open the file, it doesn't recognize anything despite 3 or 4 ISO copied movies are sitting in there. Can they be salvaged from another copy session that takes 2+ hours?

7. flip218

hrdbawl,

That is wierd... Which version of Decrypter do you have? v3.2.2.0 is the most current. Also I'm not sure if the OEM version of Nero matters, but in Nero there is an option to burn image, try that. Also Shrink will burn with Nero. In target destination choose your burner or save to your HD(will create video_ts files which you can burn later with Nero)

8. colw

colw Active member

Do you have sufficient space left on your hard drive - if you have a 20GB drive and have 4 ISO's sitting on it they will be using approx 16Gb.

When encoding/burning DVD's always advisable to have 10 to 15 GB freespace

9. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Ok! after changing to DMA for both drives, I have burned 2 different movies on Prodisc 8x DVD+R's and they burned successfully according to DVD Dycryptor 3.2.2.0. However, I took them home and they both froze halfway into the movie. I have successfully backed up 2 other movies, but on Sony DVD+R's instead. With the Sony's, both movies had (a couple dozen times actually each) freezing or glitches, causing me to assume the media was no good and hence the Prodisc that is supposed to be good. Does anyone have an idea why these 2nd set of movies on Prodisc froze PERIOD in the middle. I took the to my computer too to see if my DVD Player (Pioneer Elite and new) was the cause. It wasn't as it froze on my computer as well.

As for the hard drive space, I have 10-15 gig's at any one time for this mission.

Any thoughts now? I hope there is a simple reason for movies freezing half way through. Thanks, E

10. flip218

hrdbawl,

Try making a backup, and play it in your computer first. It may be your stand alone, especially if it froze in your stand alone then you took the same disk and tried it in you computer. I have an old RCA DVD player and it ruins every backup I make. Also you can check compatibility at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

11. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Thanks for trying Flip 218. I am lacking consistency as 2 movies play all the way through (on a sony +r 4x max, but with a couple dozen freezes, so not great) and 2 that seemingly went through the process fine (these two on Prodisc +r 8x max) but freeze period around 25 minutes into each movie. I can't even jump chapters (whether it by my 2002 high end Pioneer Elite DVD player or the computer that burned them in the first place). I went to the link you suggested and there should be NO problem with this. It seems like all of these issues tend to lean towards the media, and hence why i bought what was highly suggested on the afterdawn.com site, Prodisc. Could it be 8x max with an 8x max burner? I just don't get it. I get a whole movie with muliple flaws with so-so disks (Sony 4x) and great copies and then a big freeze with good disks (Prodisc 8x). Does anyone out there have a feel for this one? Thanks again

12. flip218

It might be the speed. Faster doesn't mean better. If you want buy some Verbatim branded 2.4x. this way the max write speed will be 2.4x

13. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

FYI flip218. Your idea about Nero worked on the backup's that were successfull on my hard drive, but DVD Dycryptor couldn't find. I tried Nero Express and found the backup's, burned them and they were successfull. I guess a standard, no fuss method isn't going to happen each and every time. Not complaining, just realizing. Thanks to this forum, I am very close to a no fuss method. Thanks to all who participate.