1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i/o magic 8x dvd burner

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sirenia, Aug 15, 2004.

1. sirenia

sirenia Guest

i just bought a i/o magic dvd +- RW/+-R Dual Format 8x DVD ReWritable Drive, Who manufactures this?? I dont know if it is a good drive. I was talked into buying it at circuit city and i am definitely a newbie on dvd recording all i know is i tried to copy a cd and i had nothing but errors... Thanks for the help.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

From what I can gather it appears your drive may either be made by Optorite or BTC.

What's the model #?

3. rony2211

rony2211 Guest

dont ever trust a salesman

4. rony2211

rony2211 Guest

hi sis

5. vans12

vans12 Regular member

man I am sorry it sound like you got riped. That is why I hate sales people. You wont be able to take it back to CC and if you do it will be hell,cc does not take it back easy.

6. samiller

samiller Member

I have one of these and it works great... flawless operation and not a single failure using any of several types of media, including even the cheap stuff. It is possible that you have a bad drive but not likely... I would start troubleshooting your system. Is your CPU fast enough? If it is an internal drive is the hardware set up correctly? If it is external are you using USB 2.0? etc...

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

sirenia,

As samiller said it may not be the burner. I am curious as to what software you used and how did you use it? Also, what media did you use?

"all i know is i tried to copy a cd and i had nothing but errors..."

Do you mean DVD or CD?
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  8. sirenia

sirenia Guest

I burnt a cd from my music files, i havent dared try to burn a dvd yet, i used roxio 6, then i tried using nero which usually works great for me but not with this burner it keeps saying save image file and then giving me an error.. Then i tried using windows media player and it worked but the 2 and 3rd song didnt record at all. Then when i tried to copy another cd that i had it would freeze up on the third song every time with all three.... I think the drive is ok i just think maybe i have it configured wrong or something..

hi ron ron.......

9. sirenia

sirenia Guest

This is an internal drive and i have windows xp professional, it is an hp computer with 933mhz. I used phillips cdr's.

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Oooh, I thought you were trying to burn a movie(DVD).

I think you'll get better results taking it to the audio in the cd-r forum. But while you're here let me ask you this, have you always had roxio and nero side by side? They are widely known to cause problems with each other. Also, did you do the new nero updates?

I use musicmatch jukebox w/ DFX for most of my audio needs including ripping and burning and I'm not too familiar with roxio at all. Is your burners firmware up to date? Is this the same media you've always used?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

11. sirenia

sirenia Guest

I havent always had both nero and roxio i usually just use nero but roxio 6 came with the dvd burner so i thought i would try it, before i didnt have any problems but i only had a cd burner... I actually think maybe i have it configured wrong my brother is coming over tommorro to help me try to figure it out, if anyone can figure it out he can... Thanks so much for all the help.

12. sirenia

sirenia Guest

Yes i usually buy phillips cd's is that a good brand??? I buy them because they havent really given me any trouble in the past and they are priced fairly decently.. I also purchased philips dvd+r but i havent used any of them yet for fear i will mess them up.. I would like to make sure i have it working first.

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Trust me, get rid of roxio, you didn't have problems before, right? They do NOT get along. It will conflict with Nero and cause all kinds of problems. Remove it completely. Nero Ultra 6 has everything you need for video and audio.

14. sirenia

sirenia Guest

Thanks, I will uninstall it now. Sirenia

15. sirenia

sirenia Guest

I uninstalled roxio and went on nero to try to burn a cd and it lets me pick the songs and then when i push the burn button it comes up with a save image box asking me where i want to save image, it never did that before, when i clicked on burn it started the burn process before now it says save image just for the heck of it i saved the image in my documents and it burnt the cd with no errors but it never did this before i dont understand...

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

But it worked, right? lol, I'll take a look at it and get back to ya, as I said I don't use it for my audio cd's, well a couple of times, but I use Nero a lot for other stuff.

17. sirenia

sirenia Guest

Yes it worked lol,,, i found Nero Ultra 6 and i found Nero 6.3 is one better than the other or do you know., also you say you use musicmatch jukebox w/ DFX for burning your cd's does this have any conflicts with nero??? Thanks for all the help, i am downloading nero ultra 6 and the 6.3 version right now, if these work then i might actually try to burn a dvd. (yikes!!!!!!!!) lol thanks again.

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Ultra 6, by far! Many many many good programs!

Make sure to download update packs 1,2, and 4. Do not load 3, another problem causer. you will love Ultra. If you have questions about DVD burning, bring them here, we'll help.

Musicmatch Jukebox doesn't conflict as far as I know. lol I started using it before I ever got Nero and I kinda got used to it. I do like it's interface.

Good luck!

19. sirenia

sirenia Guest

bigorange, Thank you sooooooooo much, i downloaded and installed Nero Ultra6 and it works perfectly!!! i have already burnt a cd and i came out perfect.. You are my hero Thanks!! Where do i go for the updates? Do you burn your dvd's using this? Do you recommend any type of shrinking program? Thanks Again....

20. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Why thank you!

Look for ultra 6 updates on the left hand side of nero homepage and follow the links. Remember, 1,2, and 4. They will be at the bottom of the page.