1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I/O Magic dvd dual layer drive

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by ollie123, Jan 27, 2005.

1. ollie123

ollie123 Member

has anyone got comments on the I/O magic DVD16DD I'm new to this and haven't bought the drive yet and need some guidance my pc is a compaq pentIII 800
    thanks----Ollie

2. cousin80

cousin80 Regular member

i bought a i/o magic 8x burner it was garbage it took me 3 hours to write a full dvd and it and then about 3 months later it quit reading cd,s also there customer service sucks i just ordered a benq 16x dual
    layer i hope i have better luck with that

3. ollie123

ollie123 Member

thanks cous I'll stay away from I/O magic, I also heard thta Benq was very reliable

thanks for the reply -------Ollie

4. CMo

CMo Guest

Hmm I have a i/o magic that is a repackaged benq & bought I/o magic cause I had a 8x that is still working & was the reason to repurchase.
    1 little note the new benq that went into machine would freeze the machine upon getting into windows xp sp1 for aprox 3 min but would work anyway. This turned out to be a crappy windows because 2nd h/d on same machine worked fine go figure.
    Good luck

5. cousin80

cousin80 Regular member

what i really did not understand what you were saying did you like the i/o or the benq
    you were confusing me

6. CMo

CMo Guest

what i really did not understand what you were saying did you like the i/o or the benq
    you were confusing me

I like the I/O burner 1st one was a 4x 2nd was a 8x,
    now I have a i/o magic dd dw1620 which is a benq.This one was fussy in the machine I pulled the 8x out of which worked flawlessly. I had to buy it because I had such a deal with staples with a discount money card with the sale I just couldnt pass. I had no problems with any of the I/O magic burners & I did burn quite alot of backups over 50 disks & many session burns so figure about 100+ before I did the upgrade.

My first dvd burner I put in an enclosure & use it as a portable backup, my 2nd one went into kids machine & they are giving it a real use with playing games & making their own music on cd off their cd's "best of"

Hope that clears things for you.
    Also to be a little clear here these dvd burners went into pent 4 with over 768 ram. The issue about burning time is limited to the 800 mhz I can tell you about that because I originally had a 800 jumped to a 2.6 p4 & used my plextor burner which was I think a 16x & there seemed to be a faster total process of burning due to memory & processor I am thinking.

That plextor burner is the best never had 1 bad disk & it would erase a cdrw disk where brands others failed to do.

Good luck with your endevor.

7. cousin80

cousin80 Regular member

thanks for clearing that up for me also i did not know that benq made writers for i/o magic that was news to me maby i just got a bad one it is still under waranty i am going to send it back then i will have two nothing wrong with that

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey ollie123, I got the same i/o Idvd16dd last thanksgiving. It is a benq1620. This baby burns about 99% rate using :
    mcc02,mcc03,ricohjpn01,mxlrg02,mxlrg03,sonyd11,and sony 04d1. I haven't found a certain manufacturer that it does not like. I still have the original b7-c9 firmware. The sony +1-8x,I can get 16x out of them.I don't feed this burner any cheap crap media.250+ burns already and still holding steady.

The best part,my stand alone players and home recorder love these backups.Re-ripping those backups are a breeze.

9. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

The best part,my stand alone players and home recorder love these backups.Re-ripping those backups are a breeze.

I agree. My ps2 is picky about what rentals it will play but it plays all dvd+r's I have burnt. Same with the $38 player in the kids room and the $500 unit.

10. cousin80

cousin80 Regular member

hey jacsac are you talking about the benq 1620 and if you are is that an external i just orderd an external
    i was wandering how the were i bought mine mainly for ps2 backups.

11. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

I dont think it is benq. It doesn't show that in properties just ide dvd+rw. I have an internal drive. manufacture date is 12/04. I am running win2k pro. This is the first time I purchased anything by I/O magic but I must say I am satisfied. I have seen complaints about the drive but I suspect it is user error in most cases. I have tried compusa and philips dvd+r 8x discs with no problems.