1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i/oware external USB CD-RW drive mod

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by klaus83, Jun 2, 2003.

1. klaus83

klaus83 Member

Greetings- I just purchased an i/oware (Hi-Val) external USB CD-RW 6x4x6 drive. Just for kicks I thought I'd try to put in a different drive (HP DVD-100i) in the case to see if it would work. The USB stuff comes up fine, but the actual drive hardware is not detected. I'm hoping that the external USB interface is not specifically looking for the original drive, and it is just a matter of a driver for whatever is hooked up to the IDE/ATAPI header. I'd also like to use the USB interface for hard drives.

Anybody have any tips on making this work?

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Well USB is for USB so why change your hardware settings? Does your mobo support USB 2.0? Is your Hi-Val external USB drive USB 2.0? I would use your hardware as designed and not change as USB is [bold] SLOW [/bold], USB 1.1 that is. Something you might consider in the near future; A motherboard that supports USB 2.0, dual ATA\133 (hard drive). Don't purchase a USB 2.0 card [bold] unless [/bold] your Hi-Val USB external hd says USB 2.0 compliant.

Shoey :)