1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I read over the tutorials, but I have a few questions

Discussion in 'PS2' started by -Polaris-, Jan 18, 2004.

1. -Polaris-

-Polaris- Member

First of all (and I know this might cause heated debate lol) which chip should I go with. I have a version 4 playstation 2 and I don't know which chip I should pick. What does magic 3.1 have that messiah 2 pro doesn't? Vise versa?

Also, I see all these installation pics and the solder points are all over the place. Does the chip just kinda sit on the inside of your ps2 and you connect it with wires? The chip doesn't actually get attached to anything, just connected by wires and can kinda float around?

Also, after checking out the installation faqs on the website in one of the stickies above... it looks extremely meticulous and easy to screw up. Is it possible for a person to do this if the last time they soldered something was in tech ed in middle school lol

thanks for the help

Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  2. WEStar

WEStar Active member

the messiah can boot from the browser screen and the magic 3.1 can't. that's pretty much the only diffrence between the 2 (when it comes to V4). I'd suggest that you find someone to do the soldering for you doesn't sound like you have too much experience soldering.

3. the_scum1

the_scum1 Regular member

have you considered a flip top and smd ? It's easy to install. It works good as well

4. -Polaris-

-Polaris- Member

Where does the magic boot from then if not the browser screen?

and where do I find people to do this kind of job lol... I'd go with a flip top thing, but I kinda just wanna get a chip installed cause once its said and done it's easier than all the swapping and stuff every time you wanna play.

5. -Polaris-

-Polaris- Member

bump - just wonderin where the magic boots from if not the browser screen. Does it just boot right up from the start?

also, are there like specialized people that install modchips? thanks

edit - one more question... to solder these connections what type of wire do you need? These little connections are so incredibly small it must be like hair-width. And do you need a special solder for jobs this small? Thanks

Last edited: Jan 19, 2004