1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I really hate my Phillips Xbox Dvd drive!!!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Xboxboy, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Xboxboy

Xboxboy Member

I really got pissed off at my Phillips Xbox Drive, i use ritek04 to burn the game at the lowest speeed and freaking still got this msg "Damage disc or dirty", i did clean it will a cd cleaner kit, and had try everything.

Phillips SUX big time!!!!! :(

2. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

the phillips cd drive doesn't read cd-r or dvd-r the only drive that does is the samsung drive and i know it can get pretty pissy my freind has one with the phillips drive and he cannot even play burned music cd's on his it's really stupid phillips sucks major portion's of ***

3. paymenow

paymenow Guest

my philps in v1.6 works fine
    i suggest you quit whining
    or get a new one

4. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

yea but you have a version 1.6 with the phillips driver fixed so it doesn't cause these problems..
    that is what microsoft changed in version 1.6 a better philips driver so the cd drives onboard firmware doesn't become unstable...

5. sniffin

sniffin Member

You can mod the phillips drive also, I've adjusted the laser output on a few with great success. tools needed are torex set to open and remove drive, size 0 philips screwdriver(tiny) to adjust the 'pot', and an ohm meter for correct setting. Great tutorial avalible on http://www.xbox-scene.com .An exacto knife or tiny sharp knife is great for removing the drop of sealant placed on the potentiometer. It's slightly pliable and will come off pretty easily.

after CORRECT adjustment your phillips should read cdr's and dvdr's fine.

6. Xboxboy

Xboxboy Member

Well my Phillips dvd drive play the orginal game with no problems, but when i try to back-up my xbox game it always get me this error "dirty or damage disc", i burn it at the lowest speed to and i am using Ritek04 also there is no sratch or anything!!!

What should i do?? try diff media???
    I had try Princo, Ritek, don't know what else is good for my Phillips dvd drive, so can someone able to help???

Cheers :)

7. slamuk

slamuk Member

Hej
    I also have a philips dvd drive 1.6 I also get a damaged disc warning I used platinum dvd +r and Philips dvd +r it's really frustrating! i once borrowed a disc from my friend it was datawrite dvd-r and that worked perfectly

8. calcium

calcium Member

how do u tell wot drive u ave again i got told ages ago but i 4got

9. Twinski

Twinski Regular member

if you want ill take your phillips off your hands? just send it too me.

10. t-traxxx

t-traxxx Regular member

memorex dvd+r work

11. wedgie

wedgie Member

Imation DVD-RW workes for me (i have a crappy philips drive)

12. wedgie

wedgie Member

oh and i used a lite-on dvd burner burned with sonic recordnow DX

13. evilgit

evilgit Member

Hey,

I just got a new XBOX (woot!) but am hearing wierd noises from the drive. I don't know what type of drive it is, but whenever there is no disc (boot to dashboard)it makes these grating noises like its looking for a disc to see what it should boot to. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help!

14. wedgie

wedgie Member

Its probably just the read and write sounds from the hard drive
    mine does it too but it depends how loud it is.
    (the xbox dashboard is on the harddrive this would explain the sound.)

15. alinares

alinares Regular member

HOW CAN I PLAY BURNED AUDIO CD-R'S ON MY V1.6

16. pizzy84

pizzy84 Member

What constitues a loud noise eminating from the DVD drive? My XBOX was working great, one day I put a brand new game in and the drive started making this grinding popping noise like it was skipping or something while it tried to load the disc. Screen comes up saying game is not recognized or something. Tried other games, nothing is working. Before I try to replace the laser or drive, does anyone know why it would make that popping noise, kinda like a low pitched ticking. Driving me crazy. I believe it is a Philips drive. I kinda gave up on it a while ago because I just would get mad.

17. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Your DVD-ROM could be dying.

18. jnt1

jnt1 Member

having same problem as pizzy84 but message screen says call microsoft. it is an original xbox with a lot of hours but with the price and extortion to get 1 that 1st yr(buy 2 gms and dvd controller) this thing should last more then 4 yrs.i sen it back today before reading these posts. they charged 80 bucks but will pay shipping back and a 1 yr warr. will update here and scream at microsoft about $80 charge. the noise comes from theright side.

19. mickrick

mickrick Member

Am I the only user here with a Samsung drive?

20. foxyfire

foxyfire Member

My brother's Xbox quit on him after two years of hard work. The poor boy's warrenty ran out and, as we all know, Microsoft wasn't much help. So we decided to open that puppy up. Much to our surprise, we found his missing Halo2 disk. :( The spinner (I don't use technical terms) had spun the Halo2 against the back of the CDROM. The disc of course was not visible to one who attempted to insert another game disc and therefore the person would stare blankly like a deer caught in headlights wondering, "Why in the world can't I play Splinter Cell?!!!" It had also left those loverly metalic circles dug into the poor cd that everyone is complaining about. Yes it is a Philips drive.