1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I bricked it!!

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Quangsta, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Quangsta

Quangsta Regular member

when I turn my psp on the screen does not come up, but the green light is still on, but then after maybe 10 sec it turns off. I can still go to recovery menu, but I dont know what to do. Can someone help me. I had finished upgrading to cfw 3.71m33-2 and I was changing the xmb using flash0 and it bricked. Would i still be able to fix it.

2. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

ur backlight should come on.... anyways u have a semi-brick. recover to firmware 1.50 using a recovery pack.

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Did you back up your flash0? If so recover the flash0 files. Make sure if you backed up your flash0 files that you did it correctly.

The correct way to backup 3.71 M33/M33-2 files is by enabling flash0 via Recovery Menu (Don't flash your XMB via VSH menu or you will semi-brick).

When the flash0 window comes up on the PC go to Tools> Folder Options> View Tab>...

Tick the radial that says (show hidden files and folders)

Untick the box that says (Hide Protected Operating System files).

Click on Apply then OK.

Now drag the flash0 files over to PC to back them up (Make sure the steps above are also done when recovering your flash0 files).

If you made a backup of flash0 and didn't follow the above steps don't reflash the backup files to flash0. You will more then likely have a full brick and won't be able to go into Recovery Menu.

If you made a backup of flash0 and did it like I said above you should be safe to flash the backup files to flash0.

If you didn't backup the Flash0 files or didn't do it correctly then follow the below steps.

You will need to go HERE and download the recovery folder.

Go into Recovery Menu and toggle the USB so you can connect the PSP to PC via USB.

Now extract the recovery file you downloaded and drag the RECOVERY folder it extracted to the /PSP/GAME folder.

Now disable the USB toggle and then go to RUN PROGRAM AT/PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PBP

This will recover you back to 1.50 firmware. You will now need to upgrade to 3.52 M33-4 then 3.71 M33-2 custom firmware (If you happen to have a Pandora battery it would be quicker using that)

Next time when you flash your XMB follow the steps above and backup your flash0 files. Plus make sure your using a custom XMB that is comaptible with 3.71 M33/M33-2 CFW.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  4. Quangsta

Quangsta Regular member

thanks alot guys. That helped me alot. My psp is working fine now.

5. Hacker06

Hacker06 Guest

My Saftey Advise "Never touch the flash folders if you dont have Backups"

6. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

still gotta be careful tho...even if u do. if u do. i was flashing and deleted entire vsh folder and fogot to put it in and brick...

7. Rav3

Rav3 Regular member

If u are customized 3.71 m33-2, make sure that the files are compatible!!!

Anyway themes for 3.71 m33-2 shouldn't need to beflashed.

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Theres allot of the newer themes that are flashed now for 3.71 M33. They where converted from 3.52 M33 to 3.71 M33-2 and are not PTF files.

9. Hacker06

Hacker06 Guest

please link?

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

11. Quangsta

Quangsta Regular member

When i said my psp is working fine I ment that I thought it would work fine after i put the recovery folder in psp/game. Now that I actually did it I think i made everything worse. I put the recovery folder in psp/game and I went to recovery mode and started run programme under psp/game/recovery/EBOOT. Afetr it finished it said press x to restart psp and i did press x and nothin happened. I pressed it a couple more times after and then I decided to restart it myself. Now the psp backlight does not come on but green light is on and it doesnt turm off after 10 secs. it stays on untill it restart it again. I also cant go to recovery mode either. I GUESS I AM RELLY SCREWED NOW!!!

12. Hacker06

Hacker06 Guest

13. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Are you running a PSP Slim?

14. Hacker06

Hacker06 Guest

15. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Are you having PSP problems? LOL

I was talking to Quangsta

16. Hacker06

Hacker06 Guest

oh sry. lol

17. devild

devild Member

hey Quangsta, i too had the same problem with my psp, but thanks to the pandora's battery, it's really gr8, it's kinda universal unbricker for every psp now. you can buy an extra battery from the store and make a pandora's battery to it and a MS card to magic memory stick.
    here's a link for it and all the videos are on Youtube.com ;) use it wisely man.

http://files.aoaforums.com/F2974-pandora.zip (Pandora's Files and instruction)

Step 1; Creating Magic Memory Stick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTGmaTYGC2U
    Step 2; creating pandora's jigkick battery
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ZGX8ymxns
    step 3; unbricking your psp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXdFK5IBPBo
    step 4; making the pandora's battery to normal one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsB5scTARbw

18. Quangsta

Quangsta Regular member

How am I supposed to get this if I cant attach my psp to my computer. I cant go to usb mode. I also cant go to the recovery menu. My screen is black and the green light stays on, until I restart it.

19. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@Quangsta

Are you using a SLIM or FAT PSP?

If you are using a SLIM then that RECOVERY folder wouldn't have worked on the SLIM. But there is no way to recover a SLIM that has been semi-bricked anyway without a Pandora Battery Unbricker.

If you have a FAT PSP then that RECOVERY folder should have recovered you back to 1.50 firmware.

If you can't go to recovery menu or boot to XMB you will need a Pandora Battery to unbrick the PSP.

20. devild

devild Member

well quangsta;
    you need another psp which have any CFW and should be a working one. through tat psp you can make pandora's battery and the magic memory stick. got it!! you can borrow another psp from ur friend if the own one.