1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Think I Completley Destroyed My Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by tocen, Apr 14, 2007.

1. tocen

tocen Member

i was messin with crap tryin to unmod it and it wouldnt let me. Now when i turn my xbox on it wont play games at ALL. The dashboard doesnt show up, just system 16 error. And ftp wont work. Did I completely destroy it to the point I need to get a new Xbox?... probably.

2. walkden07

walkden07 Member

just try and reinstall evox if u have the autoinstaller

3. xxteakxx

xxteakxx Regular member

4. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

that tutorial is pretty hard to follow i used this

I've seen enough posts around here referring to hotswapping, but I haven't seen a good guide. So, without further ado, I present the art of hotswapping.

Why would I want to hotswap?

Two reasons. One is, you tried to do a softmod and fuxed it up, and now your xbox is giving you error 21. This will allow you to install the default MS dashboard files, and repair your box. Second is you don't wanna hack up a controller or buy an action replay, but still want to do a softmod. You can use this to copy the hacked gamesaves to your xbox.

WARNING: MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS HERE, AND HAVE SOME IDEA OF WHAT YOU'RE DOING. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN A USELESS XBOX.

You will need:

Xbox
    Torxx screwdrivers
    a small phillips screwdriver
    PC with at least one free slot for a hard drive
    FatXExplorer (It's in french, but more stable than xplorer360)
    http://dwl.xbox-scene.com/~xbox/xbox-scene/tools/harddrive/FATXExplorer.zip
    OR
    Xplorer360
    http://dwl.xbox-scene.com/xbox360pc/harddr...rer360beta4.rar

1. Remove the four feet from the bottom of your xbox. Use the torxx screwdriver to remove the four screws. There are two more in the center, beneath the stickers. Take these out as well.

2. Take off the top cover. Use your torxx screwdriver to take out the two brass screws that are in the center holding the drive housing down.

3. Remove the section of casing with the harddrive in it.

4. Use the phillips screwrdriver to take out the four screws holding the HD in place. (You don't have to do this, but it makes getting at the data cable much easier)

5. Open up your PC, and make sure that you can plug the a data cable into the HD with the xbox's power cable still attached to the hard drive. Make sure your PC is already booted and logged in.

6. Now we've got everything ready. Making sure the a/v cable is attached to the xbox and that the power/data cables are hooked up to the hard drive, turn your xbox on. Wait a little bit to make sure the boot process has completed.

7. Being VERY careful not to jolt or shake the HD too much, disconnect the DATA cable from the harddrive WITHOUT powering off the xbox. Now plug in your PC's data cable.

8. Run xplorer360. Go to drive->open->harddrive or memcard

9. Xplorer360 SHOULD read the harddrive. If it doesn't, you may have to go to the device manager and have it scan for changes.

10. Once you've modified the harddrive as you like, BE SURE TO RECONNECT THE XBOX'S DATA CABLE TO THE HD BEFORE POWERING OFF YOUR XBOX. NOT DOING THIS CAN MAKE THE HD STAY UNLOCKED, WHICH RENDERS IT USELESS FOR YOUR XBOX. DON'T MESSAGE ME SAYING YOU FUXED YOUR BOX UP BY IGNORING THIS STEP.

11. Provided you didn't delete any important files, you should now be good to go.

5. tocen

tocen Member

so you can still hotswap even if you cant play games, cause I thought it was playing a game then switching the disc? COOL. I thought I was going to have to buy another Xbox and if I did my parents would be so p o'd at me.Thanks

Where it says hoping you didnt delete any important files, um, i deleted the E folder, is theat bad?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  6. IIIIIII

IIIIIII Member

Why did u delete it?

7. tocen

tocen Member

On accident in the file browser, its one of the ways i fuxed up my xbox

8. IIIIIII

IIIIIII Member

well the FTP the folder back

and this is your picture change your IMG to img
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  9. DeadRain

DeadRain Regular member

He Can't FTP, remember, error 16.

And Hotswapping is like taking the drive out of your box, then turning it on and then taking the IDE cable and plugging it in to your computer or something, ive never had to do one before.

10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Ouch.. My sympathies. Does this box not even boot originals from a cold boot with the game already in?? Most error 16 will usually start halo 2 and you can do a restore by going to the live account settings. Not sure about the missing E: though, that may break the dash when it looks for saved settings... I don't have a spare softmod to experiment with to find out either..
    Hmmm.. a bit of a nasty one all round. Hotswap or chip..

IIIIIII.. what point is there in your input into this topic?
    If you have nothing useful to add please butt out and let the people who know how to fix this get on with it.. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2007
  11. tocen

tocen Member

so it will boot halo 2 and not splinter cell?

the dash is there but its not the default dash though.