1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I got ripped off

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by polynikes, Aug 11, 2004.

1. polynikes

polynikes Member

I bought some purportedly "Ritek" discs of ebay. They're DVD-Rs (as in, not +). The guy took off any original packaging, stuck 'em on a spindle, and then in an imation box (I imagine for shipping), which I think is really sketchy to begin with. Anyway, they're completely white on top and purple on the bottom; there are no serial numbers or anything printed on the innermost ring, like on some DVD-Rs I've seen, or anything like that.

I was under the impression Ritek were some of the best discs you can get, at least for PS2 games, but so far my neither my PS2 nor my laptop (a new Dell) can play a movie burnt on one without playback issues. Hell, the laptop can't even transfer regular data files from one of these discs. In their defense, the 2 PS2 game backups I've made with them do seem fully functional. Are Ritek discs good *only* for PS2 backups, or have I been fleeced?

Now if they suck, they suck, but what I want to know is wether or not they were actually Ritek discs. Are there any distinguishing marks on Ritek discs? I know I don't have a lot to go on, but I thought I'd see if you guys had anything to say.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]KabooM![/small]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  2. ntjones

ntjones Member

Go get dvdinfpro:

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

The freeware version should be fine.

Then run a media test on one of the discs. That will tell you whether is it truly a Ritek or not.

HTH,
    Nate

3. polynikes

polynikes Member

Thanks nate. I ran the program and it says the Media Code/Manufacturer ID is LONGTEN 001

Now, does anyone know if Ritek uses this manufacturer? It doesn't look like it, from what I've seen at videohelp.com and on other forums, but I want to be as sure as I can be before I go make a problem for this guy

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]KabooM![/small]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  4. Veblin

Veblin Active member

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You got hosed.

Any true Ritek -R media will come up as Ritek in the media code.

I'd track the guy down and shoot him in the face.

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

polynikes,

make sure your Riteks are branded when purchasing. I buy on ebay all the time, turn this guy in and stop him from doing this again. Give him a bad feedback. Also Paypal will recover your money up to 500.00, if you didn't use them ebay also has a refund program for this kind of situation.

Meritline has them(Ritek G04) for .52 ea. per 100 with free shipping. They ARE some of the best media you can buy.

7. stolen009

stolen009 Guest

Just to chime in before I buy... About to buy Ritek due to bigoranges suggestion. But what is the real difference between DVD-R and DVD+R ?

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

It's only a format difference. Make sure your standalone player will handle that format. Most of the newer ones handle +,-,R,RW.

Philips has a new player,DVP 642, that handles all formats including Divx and mpeg 4 for 65.00 at Wal-Mart right now.

Sonys are good for most formats.

Also, make sure your burner is compatible or a dual format if you use both + and -.

9. stolen009

stolen009 Guest

... so niether one is better than the other ? Thanks..

10. Nephilim

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Ya know neph, I got that very informative site from you quite some time ago and I keep forgetting to offer it to people with questions.

Stupid stupid stupid......

12. Nephilim

It is a good one isn't it? Just about everything you'd want to know about DVDs :)

13. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

You have to get up very early to get one over on Nephilim. strone

14. stolen009

stolen009 Guest

Another question about this media. I might try to PS2 thing, but for right now, just movies. What speed is recommended? My burner will go to 12 I believe, but is 4 preferred ?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, AMD 3200 XP 400 FSB, 2 x 80 SATA 150 Striped, 512 DDR 400[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2004
  15. Nephilim

High five strone ;)

@stolen009,

Personally I prefer to do all my burns at 4X for the utmost compatibility. My PX-708A will burn at 8X so I naturally tied a few burns at that speed and tested them in all the players I could get my hands on. I ran into a lone Hitachi player that choked on the 8X burns so I figured I didn't really care about the few minutes I saved on each burn :)

16. stolen009

stolen009 Guest

@Nephilim

Thanks for the input. I just ordered some Ritek 4 speed DVD-R. Hopefully they work for me as well as they have for others.

17. 2005

2005 Regular member

as ive stated already you only save 6 min going from 4x to 8x... 6 min isnt that long to enure quality and compataiblity

18. dvd-pro

dvd-pro Guest

Acctually I would say there is no good 8X-media on the market yet. Or I would say no 8X-media that is capable of being burned in 8X. Verbatim (MCC) 8X DVD-R is a real good disk to be burned in 4X. All disks often proves a better result when being burned in a lower speed than it's marked for.

19. Nephilim

Absolutely.

20. chas0039

chas0039 Member

I would beg to differ. Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R media does a superb job at 8X. The TYG02 media code has been burned on an NEC with Kprobe PI errors averaging less than 2. It doesn't get much better than that