1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I have a Buffering problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sbdean, Jan 30, 2005.

1. sbdean

sbdean Member

I have successfully burned numerous movies now with no problem such as this...the last couple of movies burn successfully but when I go to watch them I notice periodically thru the movie alot of skips and pauses. In the past I have not noticed this problem...is there a way to adjust or is the problem with my dvd drive?

Got one more question. I have been struggling with the movies that are 2 hours or more. They of course are to large for the single layer discs, but I have tried tweaking them and only burning the main movie with no extras and it still misses the last 20 or 30 minutes of the movie. I have usually use DVDSHRINK but I tried AnyDVD and DVDDecryter and I have been successful with those either. Is there something I am not doing right. I have just about decided to start trying the DVD-9's but they are still pretty expensive. If there is a way to get it all on the single I would love to be adviced.

2. J_man

J_man Regular member

The skipping and pausing sounds like poor media quality.
    What kind of media are you using?

As for the movie fitting to a single disc.
    What is your compression setting at in shrink after it does the first analysis?
    should be on Automatic if so click edit,preferences and under target size make sure its set at 4300 to 4330.
    Then after you make any changes in shrink the green bar towards the top of the screen should not contain any red!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  3. sbdean

sbdean Member

I last media I bought and have been using is Memorex, should I use something else?

Also I went to Shrink and pulled up the target size had it set at 4.7gb but to get the size 4300 to 4330 that you are suggesting do I need to select custom and enter that particular size?

Thank You

4. J_man

J_man Regular member

memorex is one of the worst quality media out there.
    Try (Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim(branded).

Yes!! select cusom and enter 4300 to 4330 this way you will not write to the edge of the disc causing play back issues towards the end.

Then put in one of those large discs you are talking about and let shrink analyse it.
    Then make sure the compression setting in the right side pane is set to automatic and the green bar at the top of the window contains no red .
    Then repost results.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Memorex not too reliable, slow down the burn speed to fix the skips and pauses.That usually works.Only the memorex made by prodisc are the good ones.I bet you are viewing those backups on a stand alone player,they really magnify the problems of poor media.

Set shrink on target size anywhere for 4300 to 4360 mbs,this will help with problems on the outer edge of your disc. This is the are of uneven dye in poor quality media.This takes care of issues on that outer edge.

Select custom,enter any number between 4300 and 4360 mbs,hit ok-it should be set.

I keep mine set at 4300 and have no trouble on 50% shrinkage and good media at a 4x burn speed.

Try different media? What format/s does your burner support +/-?

6. JCole311

JCole311 Member

I have the same problem and have tried everything Ican think of: defrag, virus scan, ad aware, deleting everything useless, stopped everything running in the background. I even looked into a Windows thing about stopping processes you don't use.

Please help! Much appreciated.

7. JCole311

JCole311 Member

I have the same problem and have tried everything Ican think of: defrag, virus scan, ad aware, deleting everything useless, stopped everything running in the background. I even looked into a Windows thing about stopping processes you don't use.

Please help! Much appreciated.

8. JCole311

JCole311 Member

whoa! sorry, sorry, sorry! It posetd that twice and to the wrong discussion.