1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I may have f'd up big time

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by brodie214, Aug 17, 2007.

1. brodie214

brodie214 Member

I soft modded my xbox last week using Ndure installer and everything worked fine. I then decided to upgrade my hard drive. So I thought I would use chimpanzees tool to sway hard drives. I followed the instructions and now neither my old or my new hard drive will be recognized and I get a screen saying my xbox needs to be serviced. PLEASE tell that there is a way of fixing this.

2. psykarrd

psykarrd Member

are u getting an error number?? and if so what is it?

3. brodie214

brodie214 Member

There is no error number on the screen

4. psykarrd

psykarrd Member

do u have a backup of the eeprom on yr PC?

5. brodie214

brodie214 Member

No backup that i know of...maybe on my memory card, but it wont let me transfer it over from AR to my computer.

6. psykarrd

psykarrd Member

ok i haven't used chimpanzees b4 so im not really sure what might have gone wrong. But i would suggest trying to hotswap with your original drive and try to return it to factory setting or re-softmod, hopfully some files have got corrupted but the eeprom is still ok. here is a guide on hopswapping (if you need it) http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/332766
    if this works, use an app like config magic to backup your eeprom and save it on yr PC, once the eeprom is backed up it is much easyer to get out of trouble. but be carefull, you don't want to wipe this drive and lose your eeprom for ever then u are in real trouble.

7. psykarrd

psykarrd Member

just be really careful, and if you are not sure what your doing, wait and see if somone else gives u an easier solution. I really don't want you to fuckup yr xbox!

8. brodie214

brodie214 Member

ok thanks for the help i will try this tomorrow if i dont hear anything else. is there any way to see if i ruined my new hd?

9. brodie214

brodie214 Member

also is there a way to get my eeprom so i could put it on the new hard drive using hotswap?

10. psykarrd

psykarrd Member

ok your other hdd should be fine, but it may not yet have the eeprom on it, thats way i said to use yr old one. Try putting your new one in a PC and see if it will detect it.

once you have backed up the eeprom, you no longer need to hotswap, you can use the eeprom to manualy lock and unlock yr drive, for all the info you need for vertually everything, check out these tutorials: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/536595#3246424

11. brodie214

brodie214 Member

Is there a chance I backed up the eeprom onto my memory card when I installed the soft mod?? If so how would access that?

12. brodie214

brodie214 Member

Ok I just looked at the tutorial I used to install the soft mod and I did back up the eeprom to memory unit. Now how do I get that off the memory card and rebuild the drives.

13. psykarrd

psykarrd Member

i don't use that method to softmod, i use hotswap so i don't know. But ill look around and see if i can find out

14. psykarrd

psykarrd Member

15. brodie214

brodie214 Member

When I go to drag the stored date from the memory card to the pc databas it tells me the save is not a supported save, what am I doing wrong?

16. psykarrd

psykarrd Member

can you copy other files to and from the mem card ok?? if so then the save is prob corrupted, but as i said b4 i don't use this method so i am not really sure. i had a quick look around, but couldn't find any info on not recognising the save. if the file is corrupted, i would say you have 3 options left:

1 hotswap using the tutorial i gave earlier
    2 get a modchip installed, then the eeprom isn't required
    3 get/make an eeprom reader and read the eeprom off the motherboard, then you can just re-build any drive to work with the xbox. tutorial here : http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/536595#3246424 (just look through the page till you find the one about an eeprom reader)

17. brodie214

brodie214 Member

Whenever I go to drag the eeprom backup (title unnamed save) to the Action Replay PC database it tells me "This is not a valid xbox save". If I could just get the backup onto my computer I could fix my problem, but how do I get it off the memory unit?!? If I soft modded another xbox could I save it to that HD and FTP to my computer?

18. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Put the old HDD back into the Xbox! Does it still boot?
    I can help you if you follow my instructions!

19. brodie214

brodie214 Member

The old hd does not boot, it clicks and produces an error message telling me to get my xbox service, there is no error number on the screen.

20. psykarrd

psykarrd Member

if you could copy the eeprom file to another modded xbox then there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to ftp it from that xbox to your PC