1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I may have fried my PS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Brims, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Brims

Brims Member

Ok, so I got a Magic 3. I just installed it, making sure nothing was shorting out, yet when I go to start my PS2, all I get is a black screen. The green power light comes on, and remains steady, but the purple disc light only comes on for about half a second. Does this sound like either a bad chip, or did I just kill my PS2?

2. fly_low

fly_low Member

if your absolutely sure nothing is shorted and all connections are correct from the board to the chip, try removing the power wire to the chip and power up the ps2. if it works than it probably is a bad chip if not check all connections again.

3. Brims

Brims Member

Pulled the power line, still no luck. I checked all the connections as I was going, but I rechecked them all again anyway. It looks like there is no hope for me :(

4. account

account Guest

that happend to me also what version ps2 do yo got?

i managed to get around that by finding a wire that was crossed with another wire so i moved it now my disc tray works fine as for the black screen im still stuck there

check out my site http://www.jgames.50megs.com

5. Brims

Brims Member

I have a version 4 (35001 - Gapped). I'll have to take another look at it.. I really hope I didn't screw it up.

6. fly_low

fly_low Member

use a multimeter and check for continuity between close pins and wires this will tell you electrically if you have a short or not. Its alot more reliable than a visual check. if you dont have a meter check out radioshack you can get one there for cheap $$. alot cheaper than a new ps2. Also a dumb question but are you sure you installed to the V4 no-gap? asking because the gap and no-gap are very close visually.

7. fly_low

fly_low Member

sorry i meant gapped

8. Brims

Brims Member

Yes, I'm sure I have a gapped V4. I just took the modchip out, and all the solder with it, and it still doesn't work. :( Looks like I'm screwed.

9. fly_low

fly_low Member

That sucks. Here's what I would do, go to ebay and bid on a ps2 that is broken. One that has a disc read error or blown power supply. Swap your bad PCB for the new one. try to find one that is compatible with your version lens. Just a thought to save some cash. good luck

10. account

account Guest

holy shit i fixed mine it works fine now! i didn't fusk up my system and neither did you i too had the black screen

check out my site http://www.jgames.50megs.com

11. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

Hey guys.

The problem is a bridged bios or modchip pin - get a magnifying glass and check it out - you'll see.

12. fly_low

fly_low Member

What was it account? solder bridge?