1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I ruined My Wii or WiiKey Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by fxskater, Nov 9, 2007.

1. fxskater

fxskater Member

Ok i have read all the threads on here and I havent seen anyone that has done exactly this and gotten this result. Im looking to see opinions of whether i need a new wii, wiikey or a different mod.

Here it is:
    1. Bought Wii on launch day, or soon after.
    2. Monday I ordered a WiiKey from www.modchip.ca (pretty sure it is genuine, compared to clones on Wiikey.cn website and it came with a holigram, best i can tell i have a V3 chip.
    3. Installed Chip sautering wires that came in package to dvd drive sauter points, then sautered wires to WiiKey. I opted not to sauter WiiKey directly to motherboard, i figured to messy and tougher to remove that way.
    4. Tested WiiKey with Zack and Wiki, the only game i had downloaded at the time. Worked flawless, turned on and off a bunch of times worked great.
    5. Next game i downloaded was Super Mario Galaxy NTSC, put it in allowed the update (stupid!?!?!) then tried to play the game and got an error 001, standard message.
    6. Panicked and tried Zack and Wiki, different error same problem, wouldnt load.
    7. Tried the update to 1.9g off of www.wiikey.cn (stupid?!? i think not, everyone said it worked)
    8. Got error message saying check connections.
    9. Read on forum that if i eject the disc after It opens and closes (right terms?) drive first time let it do the work, pop disc back in, open then closed drive again, ejected disc, allowed actual update to occur. Tried that it worked!! The update did everything as usual.
    10. I'd like to find and kill the guy that said that works. Im pretty sure that doing that is just tricking the software into allowing a bad flash!!
    11. Excitedly popped Mario galaxy, Zack and wiki, update discs, config discs into wii one after the other and got nothing but unable to read errors, all of these discs would at a minimum detect before, now they will not detect.
    12. Tested Excite truck, thank god it worked, as well as wii sports.
    13. Opened the system and found wire #3 in this diagram had come unsautered.
    14. Sautered that back on and checked all other connections, which were perfect.
    15. Tried burned disc, didnt work.
    16. Made report with modchip.ca and was told to try 1.9b Recovery Disc (for emergency use - see readme).
    17. Tried that using different DVD-r's on different burners with different speeds, and cannot get it to do anything. (i think that maybe the 3.0u or 3.1u update (whichever one mario galaxy uses, has entirely disabled this disk from working, it doesnt detect, which apparently it doesnt need to, but after turning the wii on and off, using the reset switch doing everything i can think of to make the 1.9b recovery disc work, i cant make it do anything.
    18. Tried burned discs, cant get them to read whatsoever.

PLEASE HELP!!!

2. fxskater

fxskater Member

couldnt find an edit thread button just an edit title button, and i had something to add, sorry admins.

Anyways, i should mention somewhere along the way before the 1.9g update, when it was possible to read Burned dvd's i changed "Override region to ON". I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not, but i just read another thread where a guy had Mario Galaxy working, changed this setting and now NO DISCS WORK for him, not even originals. My originals are working, Burned discs still say unable to read.

3. VGM

VGM Member

first and formost learn to spell!

its SOLDER and SOLDERED. Not what you wrote. It took me a moment to figure out what you were saying! Google.com is your friend when trying to spell something you have no idea about...
    and killing people is wrong! you WILL go to HELL for it! :p

Next. Try burning your disks using either Maxell or Verbatim using Nero 7 @ 4x with verification turned ON. This ALWAYS works for me!!

did you filechop the file b4 burning 1.9b to DVD?

Is your Wii updated to 3.1?

VGM out...

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I hate it when people play teacher and jump on others spelling and grammar.

I have read allot of post worse then that. (is worse a word?) I am sure you will correct me VGM if it isn't. At least they are not one of those members that tries to use gangsta thug language.

If you read above you would have read that they put the 1.9g update disc in and it failed the flashing test. So burning the image to disc isn't an issue since it loaded already and gave the flashing error.

In any case you will not notice anything with the 1.9b Recovery Disc. All you do is go to disc channel then insert the 1.9b Recovery Disc and wait for 3 minutes then reset the Wii.

I would guess the issue is probably a bad wire or soldering joint. So double check all your soldering joints again.

You might also have a defective wire that came in the kit. Sometimes those wires can be cheap. So you might need to try to find some other wire to replace the wire that came in the kit.

5. Dafluke24

Dafluke24 Member

Yea I'm with Larry on this one and check all the wires again. The fact that one of the wires came unsoldered, I would definately check all the other solder points. Another thing to try is to flash back to 1.9b (not the recovery) to see if you can do that, and test a game, not SMG, to see if it is working again. From what I've read on other forums, you can go from 1.9g to 1.9b and back again without problems.

good luck

6. fxskater

fxskater Member

My only chance is to unsolder it all and replace the wires? I dunno soldering it was a pretty big pain in the ass. for the last time no burned discs detect whatsoever. I understand that the 1.9b recovery doesnt look like it is doing anything, but i tried it with different discs burned on different computers at different speeds, left it in the machine for 5 mins powered off powered on, no detecting burned disc. I tried a dozen different ways of leaving that disc in there, but it did nothing, still wont read burned discs. Anyone think that since i did the 1.9g update without pin 3 in diagram connected that i ruined the software on the chip and it is not recoverable. Has anyone confirmed the 1.9b recovery disc works with firmware 3.0u or 3.1u? This has me stumped... Anyone think i should eliminate wires and saulder directly to the board? I dont wanna have to buy another wii!!

7. fxskater

fxskater Member

nother thing is, i have had the machine apart the entire time. I checked and rechecked the solder points, they are all clean with the wires attached firmly, with no bridges between soldr points at both ends, on the chip and on the cdrom circuit board. There could be a problem with the wires, but im sure the soldering is good.

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I gave you my recommendations so replace the wires and see if that corrects the problem.

The only thing we can do is give you opinions on what to do.

If you don't follow all suggestions given then how can we help you? We could be guessing and saying try this and that and all along it could be a defective wire.

So replace the wires and make sure the soldering joints are soldered correctly (Do not use the wire that came with the kit).

After you have done this and the issue is still present than at least we have ruled out the 2 most likely reasons for the issue.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  9. fxskater

fxskater Member

Fair Enough, i was ust about to start that. 1 last question, they dont have 32 gauge wire at radio shack best i can find is 24 gauge, will that work? The radio shack guy suggested taking apart a network cable and using the inner wires? Any suggestions? Solid or stranded wire? I wanted 32 gauge or 30 gauge but it seems to be unnavailiable.

10. VGM

VGM Member

i wasnt being a "teacher". I was just helping the guy out. so he know next time. I also gave him the suggestion of going to Google.com to help him with words he doesnt know.. thats all. I wasnt trying to be all high and mighty. oh and btw its "a lot" not "allot"! :p

why dont you just solder the chip to the board? like this...
    http://www.ps2-scene.org/m37r01d/Wiikey review.html

That way you can skip and rule out the wires and know you have a good connection?! just a suggestion. This is what I do to all the Wii's that I mod and it works out great!

VGM out...

11. isobelle

isobelle Member

try an older config disc, before you go ripping all your wires out. if you're confident that the soldering is good, you should try a few other options before reinstalling the chip from the ground up. the solder points you have to work with are small enough that removing everything you've done and starting clean would be a headache.

when i first installed my chip, nothing seemed to be able to be detected until i used the 1.2 config disk, then it recognized everything after that. actually, some discs were showing up as gamecuve discs, then giving error messages when i tried to click on them, and some weren't being recognized at all.

see my thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/583682

you might have just bothched yourself by diving straight into SMG, though... half the threads on this board are how to handle that properly, but we all make mistakes

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  12. fxskater

fxskater Member

K, while i unsoldered the chip and guess what, my worst fear were realized, the very center solder point came off, so now it has to be soldered directly to the leg on the chip. After attempting this all day, I've given up, this Wii aint getting modded. I am pretty sure it was the wiikey, not the solders considering that none of the wires could be pulled out at either end. So now im going to try it on another wii, hopefully i can find someone without cut legs to trade with. Anyone wanna do an install on this wii? Ill ship it to you with $50 and you ship it back, Canada only please

13. isobelle

isobelle Member

damn, that sucks.

i'm not a pro at soldering either, but think i did an okay job with mine. the points they give you to work with are so small, and i don't have surgeon's hands. when i first ran into problems i dreaded that it might be the soldering, but think i did a pretty good job, and refused to redo it until every other option was exhausted. i luckily found the old config disc worked (for whatever reason) for me, but it may not hav worked for you since you were already booting zak and wiki etc.

:(

14. lostloven

lostloven Member

u in winnipeg?

15. yungning

yungning Guest

my problem was like yours...but maybe different answer.

in my case...the wiikey was defected, sent back and got a new one...then
    perfect.

16. VGM

VGM Member

Dude, Ill SO do this for you! I have modded 5 Wii's so far and all of them are in perfect working order! In fact this is my home business! Its what I do. I mod any sort of console, including LEDs and what not! I even give 1 or 2 free games as well as update them!
    go to my website and email me since I dont think im allowed to give my email address. And yes I am in Canada.
    Http://glowcube.dzinehaus.info/

Also do NOT trade your Wii with anyone. I say this because all your info, like VC contenct and saves are on your Wii and can not be transfered. Well you VC account cant!

VGM out...

17. fxskater

fxskater Member

Sent you an email VGM, where abouts do you live?