1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my 360 (with my help) damaged my component inputs on my TV.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by 6Ripper9, Jan 15, 2008.

1. 6Ripper9

6Ripper9 Member

Like the subject says. This may also be in the wrong forum. My TV is just over a year old, and the component inputs were hardly ever used. I bought a (Monster Cable brand) component cable for my 360 and compared it to the Microsoft one. Didn't really notice any difference. However, as I was waiting for the 360 to get to the dashboard, I got a little carried away with the Guitar Hero guitar and started mashing buttons, like I was really playing. This caused the 360 to reboot, and killed the component inputs, both sets. Could the reset have killed the inputs? Are component inputs fused (cylindrical electrical fuse)? This really sucks, and yes, it was really dumb to do what I did with the guitar. If anyone has any (positive) ideas, I'd like to hear from you.

2. NewBart

NewBart Guest

WOW man, that sux. I'm not the expert, but I doubt you could have been able to kill both inputs from your Eddie Van Halen impersonation. Does another cable work?

3. 6Ripper9

6Ripper9 Member

Yep, they all work except the component. HDMI, VGA, 2 Composite, and 1 S-Video. Just the 2 Component ones don't work. Kinda why I'm wondering if they use the electrical fuses, but I don't want to take it apart and run the risk of wrecking it. And since I'm only working part time at the moment, I can't afford the $300+ to get it fixed.

4. NewBart

NewBart Guest

If I were you, i'd call a local tv repair place and ask him. Good luck.

5. megaman22

megaman22 Member

Wow strange.. the only 2 things i can think of are:

1 you have the cables set to tv instead of hd (but i don't know the monster cables maybe they don't even have that)
    2 somehow the picture went to 1080i and the tv does not support it.

But good luck

6. steimy

steimy Active member

Few things you can check.
    1. Have you tried anything in the component inputs other than your 360?
    2. Have you checked the settings on your 360 to make sure that you did not accidentally change anything that would make the component cables fail to function?
    3. Have you checked the input settings on the TV for anything you may have accidentally changed?

I know that is all really basic, but i have never heard of anything being able to stop your component inputs from functioning other than physical damage like them getting lose, or tripping on a cord and yanking it out of the TV.

7. 6Ripper9

6Ripper9 Member

Yes. Nothing will work in them. However, when I try to use the first input, the blue csreen will flicker and occasionally display "Not Compatible", so obviously there is damage of some sort. I think it might be because that Monster Cable did NOT want to come out after I plugged it in, so I had to pull pretty hard to get them out, actually severing one of the connectors off the cable.

The worst part is, I live in Canada, and as far as I know, if I want it factory repaired, I have to send it to the US, which will be very expensive. Repair shops around here aren't familiar with the brand (Astar), so they are hesitant to repair it. Some won't even look at it.

8. steimy

steimy Active member

check you 360 setting, not compatible could mean that you accidently set it to the wrong picture mode (NTSC or PAL) mode for your region. Or that you set the resolution to one that your TV does not support. I have seen that message before when i did one of those two things.

To do this you may have to get the VGA cable if your TV has an input. Unless you can find a guide that can walk you through changing the settings on the console or completely resetting them to factory default without being able to see the screen. I will see what i can find. Or try plugging in the red/white/ and yellow composite cable part of your original factory cable and see if you get a picture so you can check the settings.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...q=resetting+factory+defaults+Xbox+360&spell=1

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  9. 6Ripper9

6Ripper9 Member

It actually doesn't matter what I plug into that input. I've tried my 360, Xbox 1, PS2, DVD player, and DVD Recorder, they all flicker "Not Compatible" or "No Source", so it's definitely the TV.

10. steimy

steimy Active member

Then i would just double check the settings you have for that input on the TV before you think the worst. Make sure that everything looks right.

If in fact you did somehow damage the input by pressing some buttons on a controller(guitar) it would be the first time i had EVER heard about that happening in all of my years of roaming tech forums. I know you said the Monster cables were very tight and you really had to pull them hard to get them out. Did this happen before of after that? Now that i can see damaging the input.

I know, i have a set of Monster component cables and they are SUPER tight when plugging them in and trying to get them out. I have since stopped using them for this reason.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Active member

The only thing that might have damaged your TV would be the Monster cable. It really is unnecessary anyway. They just put gold on there to fool consumers into buying their overpriced cables.

I just don't see how rockin out Guitar Hero would have screwed up your input.

12. 6Ripper9

6Ripper9 Member

Actually, I got the MC really cheap (US$15). But you're right, I think it was a result of having to pull so damn hard on the cable to get it off. Oh well, I'll just save up for either a good 60"+ DLP tv or a projector and put the broken tv in the bedroom.