1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my motherboard is dead

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Jason123, Sep 14, 2007.

1. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey, make sure they refund the shipping costs if you shelled out any money to ship back the parts.

2. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

now thats greedy lol

3. Jason123

Jason123 Member

Ok. I don't really have the time to go putting a computer together, and have it not work. And I am a little mad over this whole thing too.

So I am going to just buy a computer. I want to keep it around $400. Here is what I found:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113038
    I like it, but I don't think it has enough expansion bays for HD's. I have 3 SATA HD's That I use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103099

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103098
    I think this is the one I will go with. It looks lake it has lots of HD bays. Acer is a good enough brand, right? And this looks the same as the one above, except this costs less, and has Vista (Not that I want Vista though).

Any thoughts?

And thank you all for the help.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just be aware that no matter which brand it is, you'll get low quality parts, and the limited upgrades will ALWAYS cause you problems further down the line. I can appreciate why you can have limited patience, but if you have the knowledge to build your own PC, getting a premade like those simply isn't the answer.

5. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey, looks like a decent system. As sammoris stated, the parts may be of cheaper quality but the only ones of real concern are the motherboard and power supply. The thing you should be concerned with is does this system suit your needs now and in the future. This system has only 2 SATA connectors(all i can see in the pic)and may only have 1 IDE channel.
    If you plan on installing hard drives and optical drives, you may find that the board can't handle them. You then have to buy PCI cards for expansion of IDE or SATA. Right now it looks like the DVD is an IDE and the HD is SATA. If you want to add another IDE burner and drive, and if there is only 1 IDE channel, you will have to pick one or the other, or get a card.

What do you expect to install in the new machine?

The 410 systems all have only two standard PCI slots but they do have a x16 PCI for a video card.
    The memory is 4 and 8GB capacity depending on model so its no problem.

This looks like a decent system for the price but be sure this will suit your needs.

Contact newegg and ask them what the capabilities of the motherboard are and you can decide then.

Oh and NO!!! Asking for return of the shipping charges that you spent on junk that wont work is not cheap....its smart and it lessens the aggravation...........

6. Jason123

Jason123 Member

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Parts look good. Don't worry if you can't spot the holes for the cooler, there'll be a method of attaching any cooler to any board, as long as they're both AM2.

8. Jason123

Jason123 Member

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It has got an 8 pin connector. It's just called a 4+4, since you can split it in half if necessary (since most boards only have a 4 pin)

10. Jason123

Jason123 Member

And another stupid question. Are there any problems using a 64-bit CPU with normal Windows XP? Do you need the 64 bit edition?

And thank you for all the help.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You can use the normal one without any problems. You would probably get MANY problems using the X64 version though...

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You don't need 64-bit windows to use a 64-bit CPU such as an Athlon64 or a Core 2 Duo, but you would need 64-bit windows for it to run in 64-bit mode. I strongly advise against this, however, as drivers for 64-bit OSes are hard to find (near impossible for the xp version) and there's only one function they're really useful for for us home users, which is faster console emulation! lol

13. Jason123

Jason123 Member

Ok. The parts came. I put it all together, the new parts listed in this thread. The computer will turn on, but windows will not start (It will start in safe mode though). There are 4 LED lights in row on the motherboard, but the guide that came with it only lists two lights. When I plug the computer in, but have it turned off, the first two lights (LED 1 and LED 2, the ones that the guide lists) are off, and the third one(LED_5SB) is on. The guide says that LED1 and 2 off means there is a problem with the CPU/Chipset. When I turn the power on, all 4 of the lights come on. LED 1 and 2 on means normal. The 4th LED is LED_DIMM

Windows will try to start, then a blue screen will flash, and it will restart.

14. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Did you reformat your hard drive, then install Windows cleanly? If not, Windows has information from your old mobo, etc., and that may likely be the cause of your problems.

15. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey, have you reinstalled windows with the new system? Have you installed the board drivers?

If you are trying to boot from your old drive, and its an IDE you have to change the IDE/ATA controller drivers to 'standard' drivers for windows to boot. If you can boot in safe mode,

start>(right click) my computer>properties>advanced>start up and recovery settings> 'uncheck' automatically restart

Now the stop error blue screen will remain up for a while. What is the error?

TO change the drivers...

device manager>IDE/ATA controllers>primary IDE channel> (right click) update driver> no, not this time>install from a specified location>dont search I will choose driver>standard IDE controller>

If you have sata drives change that driver..........

16. Jason123

Jason123 Member

It is the same HD, I did not format it. And it was an SATA system to begen with.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah then you will need to format and re-install. It's going to boot up expecting your old system but it's radically different now so it wont boot up.

18. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey, try changing to the standard sata drivers in my last post. You may have luck with it.

You should be able to do a 'repair install' on the o/s which should keep your programs and data but see if the above will work.

Also, you can try to install the board drivers in safe mode........

19. Jason123

Jason123 Member

I have everything up and running! Thank you all for the help!

Reinstalling Windows did it.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed. Unfortunately windows installations aren't compatible with any other chipset than the ones they were installed on. So you can do what I did and go from an nforce 4 to nforce6 and get away with it. You can't do the same if you say go from an nforce chipset to an intel one, or you get the issue you had.