1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my PC hates me... Nero problems and maybe DVD shrink problems

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by DanteJay, Jan 25, 2005.

1. DanteJay

DanteJay Member

Ok get this.
    In my pc I had a DVD burner made by Lite-On which worked AMAZING for me (I doubt I ever had more than 1 or 2 coasters). Lately I decided to upgrade my burner. So I bought a HP DVD writer 603c... Boy... I found out that c stood for coaster. Yeah I'm not using the greatest DVDRs I have some from Memorex and some from Musitso er something like that. I updated the firmware in the burner.....same garbage. Ok that does, screw this burner it's going home. I brought it back to best buy today, and picked up a I/O Magic 16x burner. Brought it home and installed (which it installed on it's own, it didnt need any drivers from an install cd) . I copy a movie with DVD shrink beta3.0 5exe...and it says completed fine. Great! So I pop in a memorex DVD+r and begin to burn. Nero has been at %78 for 4hrs and 10 minutes. Urge to kill rising... First thing I did with this burner is I updated it's firmware as well.

Now can someone tell me:
    A)My pc hates me
    B)Windows hates me
    C)Dvd shrink hates me
    D)something else completely

Any help would be sooo much appreciated, as I am on the verge of buying back my old 4x burner!!! Thanks

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello Dantejay, your pc probably recognizes that I/o magic 16x as a benq 1620. I have the same one.

This burner burns everything I slap in it,but I refuse to use memorex.The stand alones I play them all play near flawlessly,rw's do have a few issues.

I got it last fall and still has the original B7-C9 firmware. Here are some manufacturer brands I use,ricohjpn01,mcc002,mcc003,mxlrg02,mxlrg03,ritekgo4,sonyd11,and sony 04d1.Maxell + and - work great in it.

I usually burn at 4x because I sometimes rerip my backups for extra copies.

Are you burning with nero?

I have heard if nero gives you around 6 burn errors in a row,it will automatically revert your ide settings from dma to pio,this will slow you down big time. You want "dma if available".

Here is how I check on my dma settings for windows xp-home:control panel/system-computer check/hardware/device manager/ide-atapi controllers/click on primary/properties/advance settings-look for dma if available,if pio-uninstall and reboot. Do the same for the secondary ide,uninstall and reboot.

Sometimes they can say dma is ok but actually not. It is like dma and pio keeps flashing back and forth so you might want to uninstall both ide's.When you restart,windows should automatically install you ide's to dma.See if this will speed up that burn process time.

3. DanteJay

DanteJay Member

Thanks so much for your help. I checked and they are all set to dma. So I'm going to uninstall both my DVD drives and let Windows reinstall them, just incase. Also I was wondering if it's possible that dvd shrink made an error when it was ripping the movies? These aren't exactly the greatest movies, there like some Indian 2in1 movie discs. I'm just making copies for a friend, and I was wondering if maybe it's an error with shrink. So when I burn with Nero, Nero freezes. I have to end program, so I doubt Nero even registered as a failed disc. as far as the pc, it just see a normal 16x burner, nothing BenQ. I'll keep you posted with what happens. Thanks again.

~Danté

4. DanteJay

DanteJay Member

Here's an update:

I rebooted and re-installed my DVD-Rom and my DVD-RW. On top of that, I installed the latest version of Nero 6.6.0.6. I went into Nero and set it to burn just like I did before, with the same brand Memorex DVD+R like before. Where Nero froze last time was at %78. So I carefully watched the burn process this time. Everything was normal until it reached %78 percent again. The Used Read Buffer begin to go down and it eventualy reached 0 and the DVD rom's buffer also went down to 0%. So I thought ok, now it's going to freeze. But the buffer levels began to rise again and eventually went all the way up to %100 and the disc continued and finshed burning successfully. I don't know why, but I doubt it has to do with the media. It almost messed up again at the same spot, so I think it has to do with the vobs im burning? Maybe DVD shrink messed up ripping? If not I have no idea what. If anyone could shed some light on this, that would be great!

~Danté

5. MarkNZ

MarkNZ Regular member

Here's an idea: To check to see if your drives and system is ok install the full trial versions of AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 (You have 21 days). If this work then it gives us a point to work from.

Here is the link for you:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

Please do get back to us