1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my shrink is worn out.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by hanly2, Mar 15, 2007.

1. hanly2

hanly2 Member

I can't seem to re-author movies w/shrink anymore. It will analyze the disk and then as soon as I try to re-author it freezes up and goes into not responding mode. I have to use dvdfab to decrypt the movies then I can use shrink to backup them. Also I have a brand new stack of TY's and I am getting some skips or glitches in movies. Not sure what you call it but when the movie looks all messed up for a second. Could it be shrink or maybe dvddecrypter that I use to burn? Thanks for help and comments.

2. FFsp42

FFsp42 Regular member

You can try a couple of these:

(1) Burn on a clean machine. Defrag your hdd and run a good quality program to free up memory. Here's one: http://www.ccleaner.com
    DVD Shrink 3.2 is known to not respond well to a fragmented hdd.

(2) Watch your burn speed. Make sure that you burn at half the rated speed of your discs and not faster. For example, if you're using 16x discs, burn at 8x or lower.

(3) Reinstall DVD Shrink 3.2 You will find it in the download section of this site.

(4) Try another program. One that is really popular is RipIt4Me. It is a very good program and is free! Incorporates FixVTS, DVD Decrypter, and DVD Shrink. http://www.ripit4me.org

I would say your problem is not media related, as Taiyo Yudens are by far the best media on the market today. I would try some of these and if they don't work out, write back! Good Luck!

3. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Shrink can't do the later dvd's which i guess is the trouble your having,the skips could be due to the layer change from top layer to 2nd layer or vice versa(fraction of a second there's a skip) then again the skips could be due to some other factor perhaps a prog activated itself while the crypting was doing it's thing or you were doing something on the comp while decryp was happ'n or what FF said in his post

5. hanly2

hanly2 Member

Thank you for all the help. I downloaded and used the ccclean. I burn at 4x on 8x discs. I downloaded ripit4me. I will try it later in the week. Is it a all in one program that burns and everything. I was looking for a guide for it. Also downloaded imgburn will try that also. I will let you know how it turns out.
    Thanks.

6. orion250

orion250 Regular member

I've also had that same problem with Shrink several times freezing up. I just uninstalled it, then reinstalled it and it works great again. Ripit4me works great! I have Imgburn installed but haven't used it yet. Some of the greats say it is the program to use.

7. FFsp42

FFsp42 Regular member

@hanly2

RipIt4Me incorporates the following programs: FixVTS, DVD Decrypter, and DVD Shrink. This program has both a Wizard function for advanced options and a 1-Click option that does everything for you. Really simple to use and works very well on newer movies. All parts are absolutely free. Here is a link to a very good guide, complete with step-by-step instructions and pics to go along with it. http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/ (thank bbmayo for the great guide) Also, here is a page of interest should you need help with getting the other components to run RipIt4Me: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/183136

This should get you started and hopefully error free. Good Luck!

8. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

FFsp42,
    Your 2 posts were excellent and well written. Stay around and help out the others as your answers are dead on point.

9. sdsunjay

sdsunjay Guest

hey, this is a related question, that i thought id ask cuz u guys seem to kno ur shit. i "backed up" a movie and to my horror found the audio streams were off. Example the actors mouth would move and the audio would come several seconds later. I put the messed up disc back into the computer and put all files onto the desktop with dvd decrypter. I then imported those .vobs into nero. On two of the vobs that i imported to nero it said "adding audio". I then re burned the movie with nero. When it was i done i saw that my actions had had no effect on the disc except for two 20 min parts that were fixed. Coincidentally those two parts were in the same order as the two other vob files. Coincident? i dont think so. Now i want to fix the rest of the messed of disc. I kno i need to re re burn the movie but how to do that I have no clue. A little help.

10. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

sdsunjay ,
    What program did you use to rip the DVD movie to HD?

11. FFsp42

FFsp42 Regular member

@Car.Mike
    Thanks for the compliment. I certainly don't know everything, but I've had my fair share of "bad days". Figured I would share what little I know and learned (thanks to some good advice from those on this board) and help out what I can. We all started out the same way...

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

FFsp42
    You should have supplied the complete link to the RipIt4Me guide that BBmayo and I collaborated on.
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/TheGuides/pacman777guide.pdf
    Since it's labeled the PacMan777 Guide it might not be readily apparent what it's for. Or was there another guide you meant?

Did I mention, the guide supplies a link for all the software needed with an all in one installer. The version of Shrink included in the guide supports ImgBurn instead of the older DVD Decrypter burner ware. It's a seamless process. Open the DVD in RipIt4Me which opens the files in DVD Shrink for transcoding which opens the transcoded output in Imgburn for burning. It's hard to go wrong if the guide is followed completely.

13. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

@hanly2,

Just to add to FFsp42 link(BBmayo's) provided, check out the Pacman777 guide as it is for RipIT4me which is a guide for the whole thing,install and step by step instructions, very easy to follow.

edit-
    Looks like we think alike,
    Did u hear an echo? LOL

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  14. FFsp42

FFsp42 Regular member

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Being as how you're using TY media, I doubt that being the problem. I've used TY manufactured media for a long time and agree with others on the quality. Were you talking about pixelation when you said messed up for a second or so? Most often skips are related to source condition and compression. What kind of condition is the source DVD in? Is the surface free of scratches and smudges and is the surface clean and polished? The same goes for the DVD in the player. Keep DVDs clean and polished. Fingerprints will cause problems. You can do a read scan of a disk to see if there are any bad sectors that could effect a backup or playing. I've had unexplained burn errors in the past. From that I've come to the conclusion you can't always trust a burn, even to good media. Dealing with compression using Shrink entails using the Quality Settings. Check them all in the Back Up window. You may want to switch the AEC setting to one of the Smooth options, if the compression is high.

Don't forget to take a look at BBmayo's easy "how to" guide that FFsp42 suggested. ;) I think he did a good job.
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/TheGuides/pacman777guide.pdf

@ FFsp42
    I forgot to mention. I agree with Car.Mike on the good posting. Hang around and help out.

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

No apologies necessary, I didn't do it for the credit. It was a collaboration, so BBmayo deserves credit for his work and it is his site. I was just noting the title doesn't include the software. If it did it would be a rather long title. LOL

Bowler
    Echo, echo, echo... LOL Like minds and all that good stuff. ;)

17. FFsp42

FFsp42 Regular member

@PacMan
    Thanks for the compliment also. I try to help out when I can.

Next time I reference the site, I will make sure to give you credit also. By all means, while it may have been a collaboration, you still deserve some recognition for the work and effort you put into it, as I'm sure everyone would agree. Nice work and thanks for the time and effort you, bbmayo, and all other members put into their guides....helps make life somewhat easier.

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Yer gifted with a golden tongue lad. Thanks for the compliment. I suspect everyone will know I participated if you supply the full link to the PacMan777 Guide (the RipIt4Me, DVD Shrink, ImgBurn guide utilizing the AIO installer). See why we just called it the PacMan777 guide. LOL

I wonder how hanly2 is coming along. ;)

19. sdsunjay

sdsunjay Guest

car mike i used dvd shrink.

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

sdsunjay

Decrypt, transcode, and burn are the steps for doing a backup. Leave out the transcode if burning DL. Usually the key is doing a good rip. For that I suggest RipIt4Me. A good job can be done completely with freeware, RipIt4Me, Shrink to transcode and ImgBurn to burn. http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/TheGuides/pacman777guide.pdf
    Shrink still has a lot of life left when used properly with other software. Give the system a try following all the directions from the guide and let us know how that turns out. Many of us have used that method and it's been found to do a very good job. Problems usually happen when the guide isn't followed correctly. Use the software from the guide since it uses a different version of Shrink which supports burning with ImgBurn instead of the DVD Decrypter burner ware. You can use the Nero burning ROM. Nothing wrong with retaining that for the burn process. Just remember the Quality Settings. No problem using the manually loaded method, Shrink and Decrypter loaded and then load the RipIt4Me installer (not the zip files) from http://www.RipIt4Me.org . Just remember how it relates to burning with ImgBurn. As I said, if using Nero and no plans to use ImgBurn, it doesn't matter about the Shrink version.