1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I thought I could burn dvd's with a dvd-r combo

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by fgreco, Dec 3, 2004.

1. fgreco

fgreco Member

I have a dvd-rw combo and then a regular cd-rom drive I was wondering if I could burn dvd's that I buy from the stores to make copies of them. I know you were able to do that with two vcr's for vhs I wonder about dvd.
    can anyone help me?

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there fgreco, welcome to aD,

All you need is a DVD burner BUT your thoughts on copying a DVD like you copied VHS tapes are totally incorrect.

BUT,

As I'm in such a good mood, I'll tell you what I'm gonna do . . .

For just the measly price of a "Thanks" and a "Smile" I'll point ya in the direction of a pretty kweel guide that has step-by-step directions as well as limnks for the 2 free programs to make it all happen -

SO, step right this way,, leave your checkbook at home, no intellegence required for this "step-by-step, just cannot fail, guide to copy DVD's" ~

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

Right on, 1/2 way down the page and happiness will be yours -

Cheers young member,

Just stop back and tell me how you made out :)

Pete

3. fgreco

fgreco Member

sorry to post twice but iam anxios ummm. I get stuck at this point..... We do this to make sure that we don't burn to the very edge of the disc. When using poorer quality disc we may have to go lower still as the dye toward the edge many times is uneven or absent. Then, under the "File I/O" tab "UN-tick" "Enable burning with Nero" then "click" "OK". Let's do that now !

the butttons arent there I have shrink 2.3 and the new version of decrypter after I back up the movie I can not burn it either. please help.

4. fgreco

fgreco Member

I fixed all of this I now have the new version of the shrinker. I get all the way to where the blank dvd is put in and then nothing happends. my computer doesnt read the disk and it is an 8x drive a lite-on drive. a dvd+rw I dont understand. I tried to change the preferences with the book it is called and put in my drive but, it didnt work .
    please help thanks

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Ya Frank, welcome to our little club -

We need a bit more info Frank -

Has your burner ever worked ? With those discs ?

Do you have upgraded Firmware ?

A working ASPI ?

What book are you talking about ?

You should follow the guide I sent you to without trying to add too, change or modify it in any manner. Doing so will put you off by yourself. Print the guide out, recheck all of your settings a second time and get back to me with answers to everything I asked. If you don't know the answer, don't skip them or make something up, just tell me -

We'll find out what's off track, no worries,

Pete

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi fgreco, This may be your problem but I'm not sure with the information you are giving us. It looks like your burner is a +R burner only if I read your post right. Are you using -R blanks by chance?? Give us the model of your burner and the Brand and type of blank media you are trying to use.

Jerry

7. fgreco

fgreco Member

the burner is a lite-on dvd+rw sohw-802s it is the e:/ drive. I dont think I have firm ware or any of the other stuff all I downloaded wast the decrypter and the shrinker.

please help and thanks for all the hep so far It has been greatly appreciated.

8. fgreco

fgreco Member

Sorry to double post here but, Iam I using a cd-r or a blank dvd-r . I mean I put the regular blank cd in the drive and i can press write but then a message comes up saying that the disk is to small. So I would guess you put a blank dvd disk in the drive but those diskes that I have dont work I tried them just now. thanks for helping I have an 8x dvd burner what speed does the disk have to be I have 8x disks. the blank media is memorex 8x 4.7 gb dvd-r.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Frank,

It isn't possible to have a drive w/o firmware - I was going to post some stuff about Firmware BUT reading your second post you don't seem to have a grasp on this "Disk" stuff so -

For starters, -

So this means that you're trying to put something too big on a CD. What kind of files were you trying to put on the CD's ? On the DVD's ? <~ ~ These are questions that I need you to answer .

News Flash ! A DVD is not a "Big CD". You need to read up a bit on what different media are - Try this site out, it's about DVD's then I believe we'll be better able to help you :)

http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3

Let me know what your answers are ?

Pete

10. fgreco

fgreco Member

well, I'am trying to burn a copy of a dvd movie. So I thought that I needed a blank dvd to burn onto.

What I mean is I didnt download anymore firmware than what it already has.

yeah I know a dvd is the same size as a cd but I meant that the dvd disk has more room on it. it has 4.7 gigabites not 700mb as a regular disk has.

maybe now that I cleared myself up you can help me a little and thanks for all the help so far . I have -r disks not +r disks and my burner doesnt read -r disks maybe that will help to.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Frank,

There's a lot more than that Frank, CD's are used for one kind of files and DVD's another. You cannot put files you were going to put on a CD on a DVD BUT now that you've read a bit you now understand. (Then again, if you didn't bother to check it out, you wouldn't know, would you ?)

OK, I'm try to get a grip on what you're saying -

1. You have -R DVD discs.
    2. You do not have +R DVD discs.
    3. Your burner doesn't read DVD -R discs.
    Therefore you have discs your burner can't use and you have no discs that your burner can use. Don't you think your first step would be to get some discs your burner can use ? According to you, you have to out and purchase some DVD +R discs before you can think about burning a DVD. What do you think Frank ?

You "say" you wanted to copy a DVD. Well, I have told you what discs to buy, what programs to use, I've given you links to download those programs and I gave you a step by step guide to make a perfect DVD backup.

Let's get it together and not ask the same questions in 2 threads.

til then,

Sea Yaaaaaaaaa,

Additions edited because of bad weather -

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  12. fgreco

fgreco Member

You have me all rong. I downloaded the software the decrypter and the shrinker. I learned how to back=up my dvd's Iam sorry I posted the same topic in two threads. that was just me a regular end user being over excited about this new technology that I just found on the internet. I didnt mean any harm and I dont know why you come off so nasty after being so help full and nice. Please I dont want you to come to my house I can do it myself I guess Ill just get help from someone else .

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

frank, you got me upset because of you're asking me the exact same questions on 2 threads - 90% of what you asked had been answered if you had followed guides or had bothered to at the least tried to use the "search" function or some common sense.

You don't know what to do because you have -R discs and your burner takes +R and buying the correct media seems to have escaped you -

Maybe I'm having a bad day - I suggest that you post in 3 or 4 more threads so you'll get more help. I was only answering in 2 threads - Why was I so long in figuring it out ? Because I answer so many questions in a day and so many of them are the same things, things that didn't need to be asked if you had bothered to look -

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  14. EnlighT

EnlighT Member

This message might get a little off the subject you guys helped frank with, but i have a sony dru 710 A and im trying to burn Ps2 games for backups. My problem is, whenever i enter a dvd r+, which is by sony, at a 4x speed, my dvd burner will not burn the game. I took the game and installed it onto my hard drive. When i use either nero or roxio, it reads the dru 710 as a cd drive or cd burner. I switch it to the dru 710 dvd burner, nero or roxio says it burns correctly, and all the information is on the disc, but my neither of my moded ps2s can read it. Do you think dvd- would be better? Or burning a burned game is the problem? Any comments would be nice. Thanks.

15. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello englishT, I haven't messed with backing up ps2,but a buddy of mine does. He prefers - tdk. He tried -4x sony,but wouldn't play. Figure that,sony ps2 and sony media!I also read quite a few threads that ps2 doesn't like + format,but I am not sure if it was for movies or games. - tdk's may help you out. Later

16. EnlighT

EnlighT Member

thanks saugmon, ill try out the tdk's but i have a few sony dvd +r's that work on my ps2. they include dragon ball z budokai 3 and mlb 2005. ill try out the tdk's. i think its my stupid burner and my software.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there EnlighT, welcome to aD,

Though I'm not a gammer, I believe the -R discs are perfered for that work.

To make sure that you get the correct information I suggest that you post your question here -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/115

Good Luck :)

Pete

18. fgreco

fgreco Member

Thanks scubapete.

I got the right media as you suggested and I now can back up all the dvd's and burn them. I wanted to say thanks and Ill be back lol.

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

There Ya go . . . .

When you put the right things together everything works -

Best of luck Frank

Burn on . . . .

Pete