1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Tried Shrink, Now I can't burn! HELP!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by JimiMack, Mar 11, 2005.

1. JimiMack

JimiMack Member

I was trying to split a long movie and was told to try shrink. I followed the steps, and saved the files as directed (ISO format). When I went to burn, I got a message that said something like, "Can't recognize ISO format." So, I deleted the files, and tried to burn directly form the source to my burner. About 3/4 of the way through the process, I got a message that said there was an I/O error and had to close shrink.

I re-booted my system and tried again, and things seemed okay. I was NOT getting any preview. (You know, on that little screen that shows a preview of the movie while it's decoding.) The decription seemed to go okay, all the files were in the directory. I burned the disc and all I'm getting is choppy, pixelated blotches on the television.

What happenes? I put another disc in to try and there is nothing showing up in the preview screen, just black. I even tried using Clone DVD 2 to try and view and it's black too.

What happened? Did some of my setting get screwed up? Did the ISO thing do something to my system. Can anybody help me here?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Your drive may have been set back to PIO mode..Check in your device manager under IDE?ATAPI controllers

This could be a number of things. What brand of media are you using? How much did you end up compressing your movie? What else is running on your system while you are doing this process?

As stated in my first answer your drive was probably cahnged to PIO mode by windows...

Finally check out the very first guide at my website (link in sig) and use that to back up your movie I believe this will help you out a lot. :)
    PS there is also a guide to show you how to change your drives to DMA incase you need it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  3. JimiMack

JimiMack Member

I checked these settings and for both drives, it's showing DMA. There are 2 listings under this selection for each of my two dvd drives however.

I am using Verbatim but I didn't even get to that point when the I/O message popped up. The burn was done on a verbatim. I've noticed when I look at the encrypted files and try to view them in shrink or clone2, they seem to also be jumbled. I'm starting to get annoyed. Yikes! Help!

4. JimiMack

JimiMack Member

The guide on your web site was the guide that I used to use shrink for the first time. That ISO thing is where I started having problems. Still I can't get anything working. :(

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ok lets take it slow and easy. calm down it will be alright :)

First lets try uninstalling DVD Shrink, CloneDVD2 and anyother DVD authoring or burning software. Do you have Nero installed? If so do you have InCD installed? and if so make sure you get rid of that all together.

Then load DVD Shrink back on your PC along with Decrypter...

Then use the first guide at my site not the one for making an ISO.. The first one this one usually solves most peoples problems...

Get back with me and let me know how you are comming along..

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I set the quality settings to sharp in Shrink, and since then my backups are much better. How big is the TV you're watching them on? If you have a 60" you're definitely gonna see the pixelations more than on say a 27".

7. JimiMack

JimiMack Member

Okay, I've taken a few jogs around the block to work out the stress.

I'm gonna give the suggestions a go on Saturday morning. I can't break my son away from Counter Strike. I'm on the old clunker now without DVD.

Also, my television is 32 inch.

8. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but is your ripping drive on the same IDE cable as your hard drive? If so, try to set it to the other IDE cable on the other controller. This might cause a problem in data transfer.

9. JimiMack

JimiMack Member

Well, I did what was suggested (uninstalled everything and re-installed Shrink and Decryptor. I also followed the step by step instructions in Mayo's DVD Clinic and things have been working great. I was able to get a great burn with Fiddler on the Roof's 3 hour run time, and I am happy. The only thing that is kind of dissapointing is that this process takes a lot longer then using AnyDVD and Clone2 together. I remember reading somewhere that it's okay to use these two if it's a straight 1:1 burn. (Like a 90 minute movie). Also, I'm glad for the hel p because I like the idea of JUST the movie on a disc. I never watch that extra crap anyways. I do however like the audio commentary on some DVD's (The one on the unrated version of "Anchorman" is hilarious) and I'm able to put that onto disc with no noticable degrade.

Thanks to all that have helped. I gotta get back to burning. Mom also wants The Sound Of Music. Now, if I can just get her to get into burning DVD's.....

A helpful NOTE: I was surprised at just how many DVD's the local Library system now has. Here in San Mateo County, it costs 75 cents to put a DVD on hold, and free if you just walk in and pick them out. You could hit a bunch in your local area and get a stack of movies. Hey, this beats renting them for $4.00. (My wife works for the system so I "holds" for free....YES!) So, check out the online catalog in your local county library, and load up on some movies.

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

JimiMack,
    There is a guide at my site using CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD, and it shows you how to use those two to get only the main movie also.. Much faste and better combo than Shrink and Decrypter seeing how you already have those two progys... Just thought you might want to know that.. :)