1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Use VCD But What Should SVCD Do for me.?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Soulja, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Soulja

Soulja Guest

ok i have "The Matrix", "The Fast and The Furious", All About The Benjamins", "How high", "Boyz N Tha Hood", & "Undisputed". And all exept The matrix was Mp3 Layer III and i had to use virtualdub to resave as .avi but in a Layer I or II i think. And all the movies are high quality as they were DVDs but What Is SVCD For and whats so good about it. also how can i make it work with my movies because it messed up my screening in the matrix as i tried to burn with SVCD.!!

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

VCD is mpeg-1 and svcd is mpeg-2 so the quality is higher. SVCD has much more options including VBR encoding which has much higher quality than CBR and allows more on one disk than CBR! SVCD is clearly better than VCD anytime!

3. Soulja

Soulja Guest

well how do i make the .mpg file mpeg-2

4. Dela

each mpeg file is either mpeg-1 or mpeg-2 (or it could be divx and be mpeg-4). Basically its just a different format. So to make a file mpeg-2 you'd have to re-encode it with TMPGEnc or CCE SP or something but if the mpg is already mpeg-1 then encoding to mpeg-2 wont help the quality, in fact it will make it worse!

5. Soulja

Soulja Guest

i just thought that u said that SVCD with mpeg-2 is best quality. cause when i download a movie its in mpeg-3 or mpeg-4 format. and i re code it to mpeg-1. and the quality on VCd is good but i use 2 cds for the full movie.

6. Dela

Ye but dvd players usually only play mpeg-1 or mpeg-2 so you have to re-enocde as you already know and I would prefer SVCD because the quality is higher than vcd!

7. Soulja

Soulja Guest

but again you said if i encode the thing to mpeg-2 and burn on SVCD it will be lower quality than VCD

8. Dela

No thats not what I mean! The file you just downloaded, converted to SVCD would have higher quality than VCD but if you try to encode a file you already have encoded to vcd to svcd then the quality wont improve!

9. Soulja

Soulja Guest

ooooooo. ok

10. Dela

lol, i see where it was confusing!